Aunt Sue’s Famous Pound Cake

If you’re on Facebook or Pinterest and could use one of the buttons above I’d surely appreciate it!

Aunt Sue's Famous Pound Cake

Aunt Sue’s Famous Pound Cake

Be sure and click here to get the Mama’s Custard Sauce recipe! Pour it over slices of this pound cake for a heavenly experience!

I’ve lost count of how many folks have asked for this recipe after I posted a photo of it with Mama’s Custard Sauce last week. I’m on book tour right now so I thought I’d share this phenomemal recipe for Aunt Sue’s Pound Cake with y’all as a bonus. This one appeared in my first cookbook and is truly the best pound cake I have ever tasted. It is an absolute must have at our family Thanksgiving and Christmas and we serve it in thick slices with Mama’s custard sauce poured over it – sublime!

If you don’t have a tube pan, no worries! I make mine in a bundt. It will turn out just as delicious but you will have the delicious crunchy crust on the bottom instead of the top :)

Normally I show step by step photos of each recipe but since this one is a little bonus, I’m just sharing a final picture and the recipe at the bottom. Scroll down to print it or save it to your recipe box for Thanksgiving.

Aunt Sue's Famous Pound Cake

If you’d like the recipe for the homemade custard sauce pictured with this,

please click here.

Aunt Sue’s Famous Pound Cake
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 3 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 cup whipping cream (also known as Heavy Cream)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  1. Grease and flour tube (or bundt) pan and set out eggs and butter to allow them to come to room temperature.
  2. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for one minute after each addition. Sift the flour and add it to the creamed mixture alternately with the whipping cream. Mix until fully incorporated.
  3. Stir in the vanilla.
  4. Pour into prepared pan and place in a cold oven. Turn the oven to 300 and bake for 80-90 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely before removing from pan.

“How many slams in an old screen door? Depends how loud you shut it. How many slices in a bread? Depends how thin you cut it. How much good inside a day? Depends how good you live ‘em. How much love inside a friend? Depends how much you give ‘em.”

~Shel Silverstein. Submitted by Jenny. Click here to read more or submit your own.

• David says

Hi, I have made four of these cakes now. The first two turned out perfectly. I bought some new stainless steel bowls after that. Now for the last two have been different. The tops on the first two were crunchy. The last two seem to have a problem because as the cakes were cooling, the crunchy top separated from the cake itself like a lacy topping. When I turned them out, they crumbled and so the top was not as pretty and the crunchy top was all on the plate and not the top of the cake. Have you had this to happen at any time that you have made it. The cake still is delicious, it just doesn’t have the crunchy intact.

• Michelle says

I can not bake pound cakes. Until this recipe. It is simple and my cakes come out perfect. If you burnt yours, you did not follow the instructions or your oven gauges are completely off.

I’m afraid I need a little more to go on. When I make it, according to this recipe, it is soft but dense with a crumbly top. Without knowing if you did anything differently, what ingredients you used, seeing how your stove cooks, etc, I’m not able to tell you I’m afraid. I’m hoping to get that component installed in my brain soon though! :)

1. Andrea says

I made this for Christmas and it was delicious! Have you used this recipe to make a chocolate version of it? I was thinking about adding 1/2-3/4 cup of cocoa. Wondering if that would work?

2. Joe says

This is the best pound cake I have ever made! Thanks for this revelation in home baking science !
    Science….???? Yes, because everything I cook is an experiment in fun!
    Really, I cook because it feeds my soul, and I love the positive feedback from all who have been the recipients of my experiments !
    I am a widowed, retired plumber still working as a Plumbing PRO for Lowes in Fern Park, Florida.
    I love your southern recipes, along with the personal bio’s that accompany each one!

Blessings to you all!

Joe Sallette

3. Joe says

I’ve read some of the posts, and suggest that for the lady with the soggy pie bottoms in her apple pies… That she might try brushing the inside bottom of her crust with beaten egg white before she blind bakes her crust. This has proven to be a barrier to the juice soaking into the crust after the fruit has been added before baking and hopefully still be a barrier after the fruit filling has set.
    Let me know if this helps her, it has in mine!

4. Leslie says

I made this cake exactly as directed. 85 minutes in the oven was perfect. This was my husband’s birthday cake, along with your custard sauce and berries. He and I both loved it. Thank you for sharing this with us.

5. erin b. says

Made this recipe for the first time two days ago in two loaf pans and gave one to a family member. They have already been eaten lol. Trying it out again now with white chocolate added to it hope it’s just as good and perfect as before :)

6. Trene says

I love love love the crunchy tops. I have been making pound cakes for more than 2 years and somewhere along the way I lost the crunchy top. I started using creamcheese and one time used cake flour. Do you think the creamcheese is the cause for losing the crunchy top? I’m going to make it the way I used to which is your recipe and see if I get the crunchiness again.

Hi Viola, so glad you liked the pound cake!! I am guessing here but it will make about 2 loaves, depending on the size of your loaf pans. For the time, you are going to have to guess on that one. I would say around 60 minutes or so but I haven’t rtied making it in loaf pans so I can’t say for certain.

7. Hannah says

I am so pleased to run across this recipe! My English great-mother, after whom I am named, passed down an identical recipe. It has been my go-to cake for 30 years (since I started cooking in high school). It was definitely the first recipe I knew by heart.

I often make the cake adding the finely-shredded zest of one lemon as well as its juice. The lemon flavor is light and tastes so fresh. At other times, I add a bit of almond extract instead.

Fairly regularly I halve the recipe and bake it in a half-size bundt pan. Just as you suggest above, I start checking at 60 minutes, although often it takes a bit more time.

Finally, this cake freezes wonderfully. Just wrap it well before you stick it in the freezer. When you’re ready to serve, take it out and leave it on the counter for an hour or so.

• Pleased says

Your March 2015 post was everything I was looking for! Using whipping cream in this recipe sounds like a great upgrade on the delicious but milk based pound cakes I’ve been baking since my childhood! However, I’d been searching and searching for a great lemon pound cake and was just praying that I could add lemon to this recipe. Was also wondering about timing in a loaf pan AND if I could bake it ahead and freeze it! I was sold on the recipe, but you answered my three big questions in one post! Thanks!!

8. donna adcock says

can not wait to cook this cake, I love cooking cakes and I don’t have good pond cake recipe, and this one looks so good, I will let you know how it turns out, thank you so much, donna adcock

9. Jo Grant says

I’m going to try this as your cakes looks just the texture my husband loves. I live in England, UK, so I’m not sure what a stick of butter weighs or how big your cups are. Could you please help me with this? Also has anyone tried adding coconut with this recipe – that is one of my favourites too?

Thankyou for sharing your recipe.

Hey Jo! Wouldn’t it be nice if all of the countries used the same measurements? I realize the US is the odd man out here not being on metric. A cup of butter is 8 ounces by weight, and I found a conversion for the UK that says it is 225 grams. Our liquids are measured by volume and a cup is 8 ounces by volume. I hope this helps. If I’ve just made it more confusing though, I wouldn’t be surprised! Please let me know and I’ll try to clarify. Thank you!
      P.S. Coconut would be excellent in this! I’d add a teaspoon of coconut flavoring, too!

There is a definite difference between all purpose and cake flour, but thats not to say you can’t alter this recipe to using cake flour, just that you’ll need to experiment and I can’t guarantee success when doing so. Cake flour has less protein than all purpose so your cake won’t be as dense and may rise more. My college text says you’ll need to add about 2 tablespoons more flour per cup when substituting cake flour for all purpose. I’ve never made this recipe any way other than how Aunt Sue says, though, so let us know how it turns out and what you end up doing!

10. Jean says

Made this cake today . It turned out GREAT !!!! I topped it with a Chocolate Glaze . My fa really liked it . Next time I’m going to substitute Lemon extract for the Vanilla and make a Lemon flavored glaze for the topping . Thank you for sharing your recipes .

11. Deidre White-Fant says

I make this cake at least once sometimes twice a month; everybody loves the crunchy crust!!!
    Usually I follow the recipe to the letter but this time around I used 1/2 tsp. of vanilla and
    1/2 tsp. almond flavoring….man-oh-man-oh man…talk about deliciousness!!!!!!!

12. lizl7 says

i made this pound cake today& i had to come back and say thank you for this recipe:)this is the pound cake of my childhood!perfectly moist, dense, eggy, creamy, and vanilla-y all at once.not to mention the crispy crusties that my kiddies couldn’t resist picking off the cake (like i used to do) before it was done cooling!this is my pound cake recipe now,thank you so much!nothing like seeing my own children re-creating wonderful memories,i guess everything old really is new again!:)

13. dominicke says

Hello Mrs. Christy, the first pound cake that I ever bake and it came out great, I have been baking it for awhile now. thanks one quick question have you ever tired sour cream to cake and if not do you think it would be ok to add it and it come out ok

I have never added sour cream to this recipe Dominicke. My family has always loved it just as it is so why mess with perfection :-). You can certainly try it, I am not sure how it will turn out since I have never tried it myself but I would love to hear how it does if you do try it!!

14. Sonya says

I will be making this cake again..Itwas great other then the fact I did cook it for longer then what I should…It really only needed 70 or 75 min. in this new oven.. Thank you for a wonderful recipe…

15. tracy w says

this is my first time making homemade pound cake and it came out just as it is pictured. it was so yummy it was gone within days. I will be making this again for our church bake sale.

1. […] Now on to the Pound Cake! For my birthday a couple years ago, my best friend in the whole world gave me this cookbook called Southern Plate by Christy Jordan. She uses a lot of recipes similar to what I grew up with… One of them was Aunt Sue’s Pound Cake. I made it one time and paired it with homemade whipped cream and macerated strawberries. I had no choice but to make it again and again after that. My whole family fell in love and asks for it all the time. My sister in law’s sweet, sweet Nonnie even offered to pay me to make one for her. That sweet lady! She makes me smile! It’s recipes like this that just make ya feel special. Now that I know she loves it so much, I make it for her any chance I get. She was in the hospital recently and I made up a cake and sent a couple slices to the hospital with my sister in law, Lauren; we didn’t tell her I was sending it. Well, I was supposed to have sent it the day before and something came up; so the next day when Lauren got to the hospital with it, Nonnie looks at Lauren  and says, “Oh, I was thinking about that cake all day yesterday! I’m so glad you brought it to me!” This was a happy day for everyone because she hadn’t eaten much in days and she ate every bit of that cake! Anyways, this cake is awesome so ya’ll have to give it a try! But, you have to pay close attention to the measurements. It is a big deal for me to say this… I hate measurements, I can’t stand them, I walk around the kitchen pouring a splash of this and a dash of that and I don’t pay attention. I just eye things. But if you don’t measure this out the right way, it won’t turn out right. I will say that I’ve changed Christy’s recipe up just a bit, but here’s her original recipe for ya’ll to reference: […]