Candied Peanuts

Candied Peanuts: So easy and only 3 ingredients - one of those is water!

I’m exhausted today, but not from working so hard (I enjoy working and it feels good to be purposeful), from lack of sleep. See, last night I had a dream. My son has an upcoming trip to Disney World with his band for a special band event. He plays french horn in the school symphonic band and mellophone (which is like a giant trumpet) in the school marching band.

This upcoming trip takes place months from now but it didn’t stop me from dreaming about it last night.
Last night I dreamed the school had rented a big fancy band bus for the trip and that it was going door to door collecting the band members to take them on the trip. I looked outside and right as it pulled into my driveway I realized that Brady wasn’t packed and none of his jeans were clean!

I woke up at 2:00 AM from this dream that was so real I sat there staring at my husband wondering how he could have possibly slept through it.

For the rest of the night I stayed awake, despite trying to go to sleep, trying to remember how many pairs of jeans Brady has right now that fit him (Isn’t that always the thing with boys?) and what date he was actually leaving.
Now it is almost 2:00 PM as I write this and I am already ready for my bed time :)

BUT I just got done making these candied peanuts and they are SO GOOD and SO EASY and SO inexpensive (Best part yet!) that I thought I’d share them with you all quick like before I had to head out to speak at the chapel service in a local elementary school. Please pray that what I say makes sense and what needs to be heard is heard today :)

These taste like a homemade version of Boston Baked Bean peanut candy, if you’ve ever had that, only better. You’ll love them.

Candied Peanuts

You’ll need: Raw peanuts and sugar.

Also some water but we’re unusually blessed in that most of us reading this have that readily available at all times.

These raw peanuts are purchased on the aisle right next to the pecans and such, but at a fraction of the cost $1.98 for peanuts versus $7.98 for pecans – another reason to love this recipe.

Candied Peanuts

To begin with, place sugar and water together in a nice pot and stir it up a bit.

Put this over medium heat and stir constantly until the sugar is dissolved.

Note: I am making a triple recipe in all of these photos. You won’t have this many unless you triple the recipe as well.

Candied Peanuts

Like this.

Candied Peanuts

Now add your peanuts.

No, we’re not going to remove those skins. They’ll be just fine and besides, we aren’t into high maintenance food. We have enough on our plates as it is without going around looking for more to add. When times are busy, I have a strict policy of not adding one more thing. If anything happens, it’s me taking something off my to-do list rather than adding more in.

Candied Peanuts

Put this back on medium heat and cook for about half an hour, until the liquid has all evaporated and you’re left with sugar coated peanuts. I promise this will happen :) Stir constantly during this.

Candied Peanuts

See? Told ya!

Now spread this out onto an ungreased cookie sheet…

Candied Peanuts

But Christy, did you say UNgreased cookie sheet?

Why yes. Yes I did.

Place this in a 300 degree oven for thirty minutes, stirring after every ten minutes.

Candied Peanuts: So easy and only 3 ingredients - one of those is water!

Remove from oven, allow to cool, and package in bags or airtight containers.

Mama just puts hers in little mason jars.

Enjoy!

Now go see how many pairs of jeans your son has and make sure they’re all clean so you can get some sleep tonight :)

Candied Peanuts

Candied Peanuts

• 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 cups raw peanuts (skin on)

1. Preheat oven to 300. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and water. Place over medium heat and stir until sugar dissolves.
  2. Add peanuts to sugar water and continue to cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the peanuts are completely sugar coated and no sugar syrup remains, about thirty minutes.
  3. Pour out onto ungreased cookie sheet and spread out a bit. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring every ten minutes. Allow to cool on cookie sheet and then store in sealed container.

“What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. These are but trifles, to be sure; but scattered along life’s pathway, the good they do is inconceivable.”

~ Joseph Addison

Submitted by Jenny. Please click here to submit your positive or encouraging quotes.

Comments

1. Mama Owl says

OH MY WORD! I just happen to have TONS of raw peanuts sitting in my pantry… ummm… got tired of making peanut brittle :) This would be a new and yummy way of using them! I cannot wait! Ranks right up there with your caramel puff corn!!!! MMMMM!!!!!! Thanks for a new idea!

2. Angela says

Oh these sound delish! Will have to try! I love hearing about your family life. Makes me know that there are other people out there with crazy thoughts in the night like mine. My daughter has 8 pairs of jeans and i try to keep 3 pair clean at all times LOL :)

3. Kammy says

I was just trying to think of a gift to give the runners in my firm. This is perfect! Thanks for sharing. On a side note, my daughter is going to Disney for a band trip at the end of March. Could they be going to the same place at the same time???Merry Christmas!

4. Peg says

This recipe was originally printed by the Midwest Kitchen Klatter women, the Driftmeier sisters of Shenandoah IA. They had a magazine and a radio show that was very popular throughout the Midwest. The recipe originally called for a teaspoon of maple flavoring, which made them quite tasty. I have been making these for over 50 years! Make sure you keep stirring!

• Carolyn Wilkerson says

I wondered about adding cinnamon as well as I’ve had mixed nuts with sugar and cinnamon on them. Some have hot stuff like cayenne, but not me. I loved pecans done this way. I didn’t do them but there are talented people at church. loved some I had just the other night. or can brown sugar be used in place of part or all of the white sugar? I am sure I’d love the plain sugar ones too.

5. Sandy says

Christy, it’s just gonna get worse the older he gets. My daughter will be 17 tomorrow and I’m constantly waking up in the middle of the night panicking about one thing or another. It was so much easier when they were young and we could control everything in their lives.

My family is going to go nuts for this recipe! Nuts. Get it? ;-) Thank you for sharing.

6. Martha Hagan says

Thanks for the yummy recipe! These will go great in Christmas gift tins. My daughter also plays the french horn in concert band and the mellophone in marching band. It was a real eye opener for me to find out how time consuming band is — for the kids AND the parents!

7. Barbarainnc says

I make the same recipe, but bake at 350* for 15 minutes. I just made 4 batches to give as gifts for Christmas. :) :) I just can’t stop eating them, there may be enough to give out as gifts!!! :) :) :)

The recipe my daddy made every year was the same as yours, with two small changes—use 2-1/2 cups of peanuts and add 1/4 tsp of maple flavoring. With the increased amount of peanuts, the stirring time is about 15 minutes.

Some years he would cook 10-15 pounds of peanuts, one batch at a time. Best gift ever!

9. Brenda Caldwell says

I make these every year for Christmas, my grandaughter always requests them! But thank you for giving us the recipe, this way I can pin it to my Pinterest board and always have it handy…Plus, maybe my grandaughter, who is also on Pinterest will pin it to hers and learn to make them herself :)

10. Connie says

I just completed making two batches of peanuts and two batches of your sugared pecans. Used Splenda for both. The taste is just as good as sugar, but the presentation for peanuts, is not as nice, as the Splenda tends to make a shiny coat instead of the crystalized sugar. Cannot see or taste the difference in the pecans.

Had to make two batches of pecans today, as my husband ate the batch from last evening. Can’t say I wasn’t warned.

11. Mary Ann Bendily says

Something else I am going to the store for! lol Two days ago I made Dishpan cookies, today I made old fashioned oatmeal cookies with cranberries, and also made my Sugar cookies!! will rest now till I get raw peanuts. yummy!

12. barbara says

I made two batches of peanut brittle this year (the first batch STUCK to the surface so we had peanut crumbs – kinda..LOL) but my dearest husband did all the stirring…hummm maybe I can smooth talk him one more time! These sound wonderful!!

• Carolyn Wilkerson says

My husband is in rehab until after Christmas and won’t be able to stand long. I wonder if my jelly and jam maker could do this? It stirs constantly so jam doesn’t stick or burn. I may try it. Wouldn’t that be a hoot if it works well for that. Wouldn’t want to ruin it but I think it would work okay so long as it didn’t squash the peanuts. Anyone tried this?

13. ernestine leath says

i have a really quick and easy fudge rec.
    2 bags cream drops
    1/2 cut peanut butter

put drops in micowave bowl for 1 minute stir then add pb blend
    til mixed then put in plater let set cut up and enjoy.

• Carolyn Wilkerson says

I don’t care a lot for the cream drops but I am going to try this. I love fudge but hate the time it takes to make it.

For cookies I used Betty Crocker peanut butter cookie package and followed directions on the package and rolled in powdered sugar (called for regular sugar but I didn’t find any in house) and then onto cookie sheet. After baking at 350 for about 8-10 min until brown, I popped a Hershey’s kiss on top minus the foil paper and the little pull flyer. They were really good. I was taking to a cookie exchange and I liked it as well as any of them and better than most.

14. CinStraw says

Just to let you know……I love your newsletters (as well as your web site) and the recipes from family and friends. I always say “Grandma’s recipes are the best”…….I love old recipes that have been handed down thru generations ;o).

15. Kentucky Lady 717 says

Please answer our questions…..
    Can you use salted peanuts ?
    Will this recipe work for walnuts, pecans, almonds, etc ?
    Will just plain peanuts work ?

PLEASE, PLEASE……ANSWER OUR QUESTIONS…..THANKS

16. Michelle M says

I think you could use any nuts. I used what was called for but think any would be good. Not sure about salted thought as they are very sweet. However my friend said they would be good with a little cayenne. So maybe the salted would work.

17. Chris Thomas says

Thanks for the recipe reminder of what my grandmother used to make around the holidays. I made these for my birthday a week ago. Storage of leftovers was not an issue. I made a huge batch last night before church. I brought some to church and the rest I’m going to try to keep away from until our guests arrive later on this afternoon. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to tell you how well they store.
    Have a blessed Christmas, you and yours.
    God bless.

18. Reneé B. says

These are delicious. I keep putting them away and they keep “calling my name” to come back and have a few more. I love your website and have both of your cookbooks = all of which is wonderful. Hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas and a very happy and blessed New Year.

19. Carol from Ohio says

As one mother of a marching band son to another mother, I have to say this probably won’t be the last of your dreams which end up being nightmares! I’ve had the same experiences because there are so many harried details of their band and concert activities to be aware of Accckkkkk!! It’s worth it in the end, though!

20. Margaret says

I just signed up for your emails and received your welcome email. I too am from North Alabama (Colbert Co.) and love our southern cooking. From what wandering I’ve done through your website so far I can tell I’m gonna love it.

21. judy gardner says

when i was a child my mother would make these with cinnamon and we gave them to our teachers as Christmas gifts. we didnt have a lot of money and this worked very well and made the teacher like us very much!!

22. Sharon says

Thanks for sharing this! I make a similar recipe every Christmas using pecans, but becans were very expensive last year!! Everyone LOVES the pecans, but I might try peanuts this Christmas to see what kind of reaction they get, and to save money, too.

23. Eva says

Love candied peanuts so now have another thing to make, suspect you could run the salted nuts under water since you bake them in the end.
    I hate those so real dreams, they plague me sometimes , the ones that really get me are when someone calls my name, and I wake up and then can’t get back to sleep.