I could eat broccoli any way you fix it, but I especially love it raw. My husband…well, we gotta douse it in a generous coating of cheese sauce before he even considers heading in broccoli’s general direction. So this is a recipe from my new cookbook, Come Home To Supper, that makes broccoli a family affair again using my homemade cheese sauce that is good on just about everything! It’s also easy, like the rest of the recipes in my book. Homemade doesn’t have to be complicated!
I’m excited to head out later this week (March 11, 2013 as I type this) to meet some of y’all in Hilton Head SC, Jacksonville FL , and Orlando FL. I’ve got lots more stops before my spring tour is up so be sure you click here to see the complete schedule and come on out if I’m coming near you because I’d sure like to meet ya!
To make this dish, you’ll need: Broccoli, butter (or margarine), corn starch, cheddar cheese (pre shredded is fine), salt, pepper, and milk.
Place milk and corn starch in a sauce pot. Stir this together really well with a whisk and place it over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it just comes to a boil.
Reduce heat to low and salt, pepper, butter…
and a cup of shredded cheese…
Stir constantly until the sauce is smooth and fully blended….
Remove from heat, cover, and set aside.
Fill a big pot 3/4 full with water and add remaining salt. Bring this to a boil and then add in broccoli. Boil until just crisp tender, 4-5 minutes. Drain and place in a serving bowl.
Pour cheese sauce over and enjoy!
See how easy that was? There are over 200 more recipes like that to help you get supper on the table in a flash in Come Home To Supper! Click here to purchase your copy online.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ⅛ cup (1/4 stick) butter
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1+1/2 teaspoons salt (some is for the broccoli)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bag (16 ounces) broccoli florets, about two heads of broccoli
- Combine milk and cornstarch in a small saucepan and stir together with a whisk. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until just boiling.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in the butter until melted. Add cheese, ½ teaspoon salt, and pepper and stir constantly until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth and fully blended. Cover and set aside.
- Fill a medium saucepan ¾ full with water and add the remaining teaspoon of salt. Heat over medium-high heat until it comes to a boil and then add the broccoli and boil until crisp tender 4-5 minutes.
- Drain broccoli and place it in a serving bowl.
- Pour cheese sauce over broccoli and serve warm.
“Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.”
submitted by Jackie. Click here to submit your favorite quotes!Yum