I was…and you

I Was...And You

“I was hungry…and you fed me. I was thirsty…and you gave me drink. “

~Matthew 25:35

Written so long ago, those verses seem to go back and forth quite personally as Jesus talks about himself and then so bluntly points at us. “I was…and you. “

He’s putting the ball in our court or rather, pointing out by such effective use of past tense that the ball has been there all along.

Think about it. Everyone we encounter today is an “I was” and to each of them, we are an “and you”.

The stranger on the street: I was alone in the world…and you smiled at me.

The angry person at work: I was irritated and having a bad day…and you showed me grace by overlooking my attitude.

The friend: I was worried and you offered assurance.

The teen where you buy lunch: I was working my first job at a fast food restaurant, and you sought out the manager to compliment me.

Whether we want to or not, and whether we realize it or not, we are all the “And you”.

By realizing it though, you’d be amazed at how many “I was” lives you can turn around.

“I felt like I was alone in the world…and your kind smile as you passed by reminded me that I wasn’t”

I was…

And you…

You’re going to change the world today whether you realize it or not, but by accepting that fact in a conscious manner, you can determine what kind of change you make.

And you…

signature whole (smaller)

I was...and you

Comments

• Janet says

Christy, thank you so much for these post. It is so refreshing to see religious post, something to enjoy and no one complaining about it being offensive. Please stay true and keep them coming.

1. Kim says

And you…. blessed me this morning hour, a morning filled with great expectations. With joy to be found in all things. This post being one. It does one’s heart good to see, hear, and talk of good things beginnning a day. Choose our words wisely this morning as we reflect on the glory of His day. REJOICE!

2. Jim Whittington says

Very wonderful Post!! Been saved since 12 years old,and saw many times,”wouldn’t take nothing for what Jesus,has done,going to do,and wll do forever!! Thanks,Christy,we all need to speak out to others,and plant the seed,maybe they will get saved,before too late!!

3. Elizabeth says

Thank you! Even though WE may think that WE are unimportant, even a smile or special comment can make someone else happy or change their attitude! And that is very important in the world we live in today.

YOU are such a blessing to so many. Thanks again!

4. Nichelle Me as / says

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. THESE CARING THOUGHTS ARE SO HELPFUL FOR ME. PEOPLE DO NOT UNDERSTAND AN POSITIVE WORD, AND JUST SIMPLY A PRETTY SMILE CAN MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN SOMEONE DAY TO LIFT UP THEIR DAY NOT TO MENTION HOW IT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL AS A PERSON WHO IS WONDERFUL MADE BY GOD.

5. Nichelle says

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. THESE CARING THOUGHTS ARE SO HELPFUL FOR ME. PEOPLE DO NOT UNDERSTAND AN POSITIVE WORD, AND JUST SIMPLY A PRETTY SMILE CAN MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN SOMEONE DAY TO LIFT UP THEIR DAY NOT TO MENTION HOW IT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL AS A PERSON WHO IS WONDERFULLY MADE BY GOD.

6. Alice Ritchie says

Christy, thank you for your inspiring posts. I took your advice and am reading The Whistling Woman. I love this book and have laughed and cried with this family. I have just ordered the second book in this series, Moonfixer. Am looking forward to the continuing journey of their lives.

7. Rita Bashor says

Great way to start the day thinking of how God can use me..when there is a problem,little or great,that gives us an opportunity to SHINE for HIM! And Christy you do a GREAT job of shineing…that why I always call you “Sunshine”!!!

8. Brenda says

Christy, thanks so much for such an insightful post. We should all begin our day trying to make a difference in someone’s life. It’s truly amazing how just a smile or a kind word or gesture can truly turn someone’s day around. If we just put it out there….God will do the rest. If we all strived to do this at least once a day…can you imagine what a diffence it could make? My goal today – see how many people I can possibly make a difference for with just a kind word or smile…or even a kind deed. Thanks again for such a thought-provoking post this morning!! Have a great day!!

9. Wilda says

I’m so happy to see my favorite Book, Chapter and Verse of the Bible this morning. All of us are given a ministry and when you figure out what your ministry is, then you find your purpose. Mark Twain said, “the two most important days of your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why.” We can all change the world and lives when we find our purpose and allow God to lead us. Have a Blessed Day and a Purpose driven life! Thank you, Christy.

10. gracie says

As I read these words of wisdom you have posted today, I’m enjoying a bowl of watermelon (and this Texas gal must use salt to bring out the sweetness!) I love the reminder of Jesus’ words in Matthew for us to be the salt of the earth and the light of the world. When we do, as you well described, we will graciously share ourselves with others each day.

11. L. Adams says

Thank you, Christy, for great recipes AND encouraging words! I have to eat low carb and low sugar for medical reasons, but I love to check out your recipes and see if I can tweak them for my diet. I look forward to your emails! This one spoke to me today: to pay attention in the “busy-ness” in case I can be a blessing in a word or deed to someone I encounter.

12. Becky Cox says

My f/b post from this week….soooo appreciate your post, love for the Lord, and willingness to share your love for Him.

-Rant of the day——Against myself…
    -Hate the way I am so task/goal oriented that at times I do not notice PEOPLE…
    -So thankful that at times the Lord STOPS me and brings such precious people in my life…
    -PEOPLE.. so precious, so much fun, so loving, so hurting, created in the image of our Heavenly Father
    –Two things on this earth going to Heaven….God’s children and His Word
    –Everything else is gonna burn up one day…likely soon
    –Anybody else out in f/b land that forgets to major on one of the only two real majors….PEOPLE??????????????

13. stephanie Munson says

I am a firm believer that we all touch other people with out us realizing it . Smiles are contagious. I always tell my sons that you have no idea what has been happening in some one’s life. And that extra kindness may be what kept someone from doing something that they might regret.. We are all guardian angels.
    thanks so much
    Steph

14. Kelly says

You will never know how many people you touch with these posts ….. and I believe we are all paying it forward. One compliment, one smile, one touch or one encouraging email at a time. Please continue throwing us your lifesaver.

15. Cheri says

Jesus is always with us-thank God! Love the lifesavers and your recipes!
    Just received encouraging news today regarding a medical exam-I felt his presence that it was going to be okay-told the devil to go away, I had God with me and nothing was going to take my faith away! Bless you all!

16. Deena says

Nice attitude. I am an atheist and I always try to make the difference and be kind. Its great to hear from a person of faith who isn’t judging and condemning all the time. You hear so much from the vicious people who claim religious feeling is the cause of their intolerance and interference that it is easy to forget the people who hold those beliefs reasonably and for themselves.

I agree. Christians don’t hold the patent on good people…or bad :) There is the ability to love and touch lives and do good in each of us. I choose to follow Christ but I don’t think that in doing so I am a better person than any other, I am just blessed to have an awesome leader and I hold nothing but love and respect for you in following your conscience to it’s good end as well.

17. Laurie says

Christi,
    Thank you for this post. It was very needed today. I wish it had shown up a few days ago (my wish, not His). I work as a 1st line customer service agent, which brings a varied crop of customers w/ differing needs & attitudes. This helps to put the day and task into the correct focus. Blessings to you

18. ELIZABETH says

Christy thank you for your Lifesavers,they are so uplifting.I belive we have threebasic needs a cover for our bodies and clothes to keep us warm and food for our bellies,all of the other things ,cars owning your own home etc are a blessing from our God. I often speak these words to my family and my good friends who will smile and say thanks Liz, I Needed to hear those words. Thanks Christy stay well you and your family. God bless.

19. MARSHA G. says

Christy such a beautiful message. Today I was in the Dollar Tree getting a few things my daughter needed before she leaves for college I told the young lady that checked me out, “Thank you young lady for your help today I truly appreciate it.” There was an older lady behind me (mind you I am not young) and she spoke up and said, “That was nice ma’am not too many folks remember to thank people that wait on them.” I told her that it was just how my parents raised me that I was raised in the church and my daddy was a deacon so if we were not kind daddy would get our backside. She said, “That’s the problem now days children are not raised in the church or to be appreciative” So your message really is great to remind folks to be kind and try to uplift others spirits.

20. Maxine Lowery says

Chrisy, I thoroughly enjoy your Lifesavers. They are so inspirational and encouraging to me as a Christian and I am sure to others. Keep up the great work. You do so much to uplift me in my daily walk. Thank you very much.

21. Susan the farm quilter says

Amen, Sissta!!! Do you see the smile you put on my face?? 10,000 watt smile, at least! Thank you for the continued blessing you are to all of us…you truly have no idea how many lives you touch each day. You know how many subscribers, but don’t forget the ripples!!!

22. Jacquie Bollinger says

You are a very special young woman! So precious! I always enjoy and am blessed by the ‘writings’ you share!
    Be abundantly blessed, Christy!
    (I just KNOW you make Father God smile, that He is well-pleased with you, and you bring Him much joy!) <3

23. Gayle says

I had just prayed this morning in my alone time with God,that HE can still use me in my latter years (74).Your lifesaver just reminded me that HE still does.I forget sometimes that the “little” things are very important too. Things like a simple smile,a friendly hello and how are you today,may just make a difference in some down and out person’s day.
    Thanks for sharing I love it and of course all your recipes.
    Your older sister in Christ,
    Gayle

24. Linda Copeland says

So many times we want to turn away and pretend not to see what is right in front of us. I think of it as a test for any Christian to respond…even if it’s only a simple smile or a “hello” from the heart. If ‘I was’ in their shoes ‘and they’ ignored me, it would hurt. Dear Lord, please let me not forget my ‘and you’ response if I’m capable of making a difference in one way or another to ANYONE in need. Dear Christy, thanks for this Lifesaver reminder of going that extra step and being a sister to all my earthly brothers & sisters…for we are all a child of God.
    Hugs & blessings,
    Linda
    PS. Thank you SO MUCH for the wonderful slow cooker! ‘I was’ in a low spot from too much responsibility and stress ‘and you’ reminded me better days would come and had much to be thankful for. Somebody once said, “The night does not last forever.” You were my “lifter upper” that day! :)

25. Linda Kay Bingham Cornett says

This is such an easy , simple way to live. When we focus on others and not ourselves, our problems, pains, etc are minimalized. Christy, I know you live this kind of life. I still have hopes of meeting you in person here on this earth one day but if I dont, we will meet in Heaven. God bless you for the love you spread around. Have a great day!