Money Saving Tip : Sneaky Way To Save On Milk :)

For those of us really working at stretching that dollar, here is a tip to help you save a great deal of money on milk!

Check out more money saving tips by clicking here and visit my youtube channel for more videos by clicking here.

Comments

1. michelle says

I save a gallon empty jug and pour half of the new milk into the old clean jug then fill them both up with purified water. It’s a 50 to 50 ratio. I usually freeze one of the jugs just to keep it fresh for when it’s needed.

• Laura says

Rocquie, I think you were asking how diluting the milk would affect its nutritional value. Overall, it will decrease the amount of nutrients by the amount diluted – ie 50/50 dilution with water will result in a cup of diluted milk having half as many nutrients (protien, fat, carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals) as a cup of undiluted milk.
        If you are relying on milk to contribute significantly to your intake of nutrients such as calcium, you will need to increase your intake of other good sources of those nutrients to compensate for what you don’t get in the diluted milk.

2. Sandy says

What an awesome tip! Why haven’t I thought of it before? I buy skim milk by the gallon and freeze it in 1 quart containers. That way I never worry about it expiring before we can finish it. Next time I buy milk, I’m going to get whole and freeze seven quarts of 50/50 water to milk then I’ll dilute the last quart to make a half gallon for the fridge. Thank you! :-D

3. Dorothy Graham says

Hi Christy. I like your tip on the milk.and I do it all the time,,,since we userly use it by pouring it on our Cereal, it still tastes good ,,and it helps save on the food Bill..enjoy your blog ” when I read all the interesting tidbits,you have for us…it helps make my day .. And bless you Christy..for your service..

4. elaineraye says

I have tried freezing milk and I have not had very good results. I use skim milk and it separates into whey and grainy solids that never seem to reconstitute to a good texture. Are there any tips for freezing milk more successfully? Your tip for watering the milk also applies to orange juice. I can make my juice to a 50/50 ratio which helps the calorie count as well as the budget.

5. Rosemary says

Hi,
    I always buy 2 percent milk and since I am a widow I am always throwing milk out and I feel guilty. I am trying this and freezing and hoping I can throw the guilty feeling away. Thanks for the tip.

6. Pam B. says

Interesting! I’d never thought about diluting milk. My husband is the big milk drinker — of skim milk — using it on his cereal every day. I’m going to see if he’ll try it.

7. LadyMichigan says

That is a good tip. I do not drink milk at all but my husband does use it on cereal and I doubt he would notice if I added water to stretch it a bit. Would probably be more “Heart Healthy ” also.

8. angelia christenson says

I also add a pinch of salt to my milk when i first open it because it helps it last longer than the date on the jug which my son is ADAMANT about not using after that date. Ive told him its a SELL BY date and not a “drink it all by or toss it” date but then hes a stubborn one. I dont remember where i got that tip from but it does seem to help the milk not spoil for round a week longer.

9. Janis Allen says

Back in the 1950′s my Mom did this. She mixed up a can of evaporated milk, and added it to the Vit D whole milk. She did not tell us and we children never noticed the difference. I haven’t bought evaporated milk lately, but this worked to save money and keep up the quality of the milk. Back then.

• Laura says

As a Registered Dietitian, I can tell you that the calcium content will be diluted by the same amount that you dilute the milk. So if you mix it 50/50 with water, you will get half the calcium per cup. Since most women don’t get enough calcium in their diet to begin with, reducing the amount in the milk you drink/cook with may not be the best idea unless you plan to increase your intake from other sources.

10. Charlene Robeson says

I did this, or something similar, when my kids were little and we went through so much milk!! I would mix 1/2 gallon of whole milk with 1/2 gallon of skim milk made from powdered milk. My kids never knew the difference.

11. Donna says

Great tip Christy. Thanks for all your ideas. I don’t live far from Isom orchard heading there to get some some of the best peaches in the world. Also butter beans. The family is so sweet.
    Remember what grandma used to tell us as kids Waste not Want not! God Bless All!

12. maryann says

I purchase the whole milk and make butter with it. Which after the butter fat is removed leaves basically a skim milk product. It is easy enough to do with a mixer and you keep the milk cold by doing this in small batches.

13. Sandra says

I tried this and my husband freaked out and called me cheap when I explained why I bought whole milk. We buy 2 gallons of milk at a time and always get skim and 2%. I will have to be sneaky about this and save my old skim milk jugs. Hmmm….but then the expiration date will be off.