The Blessing Of Wrinkles

Hopefully you’ve known a kind older person in your lifetime. One whose face is filled with wrinkles from a lifetime of smiles, whose cheeks have a rosy glow from making the effort to be cheerful, and whose eyes have a twinkle of wisdom and memories.

The only thing capable of rivaling such beauty is a smile from a newborn babe.

Forget wanting to look like movie stars and “perfect” folks. I want wrinkles, LOTS of them. I want laugh lines around my mouth and crinkles at my eyes. I want wore out hands from preparing meals for generations and I want joints so used they begin to wear and ache in my older years.

And don’t you dare deny me my white hair as a testament of the grace I was shown in being able to watch my kids and grandkids grow up!

God, keep me so busy and focused on the living at hand and the love, smiles, laughter, and joy that come with it that I could not possibly end up with a drawn and pinched face or the time or inclination to have one stretched and taught from trying to hide the evidence of a life well lived.

I want to leave this world with every blessed wrinkle I can possibly manage to earn and when I grow old, stand back coz I’ll show them what beautiful really is.

Lookout world. Granny’s got cookies!

Make some wrinkles today!

signature whole (smaller)

The Blessing of Wrinkles

Comments

1. Teresa says

I agree! You have no real idea of how fabulous it is to be a granny! To have these little people hug, kiss and tell you they love you! Sometimes when I look at them I am trying to memorize everything about them, so when they are grown up and gone I will have those blessed memories.
    I don’t mind any wrinkles I have I just don’t like my chicken neck!

2. Peggy Kendrick says

I teach a Sunday School class and one of the older ladies whose sweet face was a mass of wrinkles remarked, “I like my wrinkles, I worked for them, I earned them, and I appreciate them!” So as my wrinkles grow, so do I appreciate them. Thanks for your blog. Love reading them.

3. Susan the farm quilter says

Good message today, but I would so be willing to wait another 10 years for the wrinkles and especially, the sore joints! I would like to be able to pick up my grandbabies without it hurting and worrying that I won’t lose my grip on them. Accepting the growing number of years of life well lived and loved, I’ll take that. Bless you!!

4. J B Walker says

This post reminded me of my late Daddy. He always smiled and wanted us children to know that we were loved. His heart was so big, he never ever let us leave empty handed. How I miss him so.

5. RUBY PIEROLA says

I DON’T HAVE MANY WRINKLES FOR MY AGE BUT I DO HAVE WHITE HAIR (WHICH I LOVE). I HAVE 3 GRANDCHILDREN AND 1 GREAT GRANDDAUGHTER, WHICH BRINGS ME GREAT JOY. I WOULD LIVE MY LIFE ALL OVER AGAIN IF I COULD BECAUSE I HAVE LEARNED ALOT AND SEEN SO MANY CHANGES IN MY DAYS, SOME FOR THE GOOD AND SOME FOR THE BAD. WHEN I TELL MY GRANDCHILDREN THE THINGS WE DID 60 YEARS AGO THEY CANNOT VISUALIZE THEM LIKE WRINGER WASHERS, ICEBOXES, ICE DELIVERED TO THE HOME, ETC. I COULD GO ON AND ON BUT IT IS FUN TO TELL THEM THESE EXPERIENCES I LIVED. CHRISTY, I REALLY ENJOYED YOUR E-MAIL, THANK YOU.

6. MARSHA G says

GREAT MESSAGE CHRISTY! I always looked at wrinkles also as knowledge. I have learned so much from the older folks in my life whether from my now deceased parents, friends, or just a mere acquaintance. The stories from years ago and what they used to heal up a little something (the old wives remedies). I have learned more history about World War II from the soldiers that lived it than from the history books. So I am with you Christy, THANK YOU GOD for wrinkles and I am well on my way to plenty!

7. Nancy K. says

Loved your message since I am a 63 year old young at heart grandmother. I am loving being a Nana to my two precious grandchildren. My grandson is 13 and has Aspergers. What a joy he is! My granddaughter is going on 10 and has ADHD. What a blessing to have 2 special needs grandchildren. Really enjoying all of the responses to your post.

8. Joyce Mullikin says

I have an abundance of wrinkles. Most of them are from smiling, enjoying my wonderful family & the blessings God has given me. Some of them are from sorrow, the passing of my parents & one of my daughters. These caused deep sorrow….but a blessing in knowing they were with The Lord & I will be with them again.

9. Genie Sawyer says

Great post. I feel like I earned all of my wrinkles but sometimes wonder where all of the aches came from. Sure wish I was young enough to take care of my great grandsons. I wear out so easily and am afraid that my old hands and arms are not strong enough to keep them from falling out of my lap when they get real active.

• MARSHA G says

Dear Gene, Don’t worry about them not slipping off your lap as they will remember your great hugs, love, kisses, and smiles just as much. An they will always remember your gentle voice telling them the wonderful stories of your childhood that no one else can tell. I promise you just wrap your arms around them tightly and hold on tight as there is not love sweeter than that of a Grandmas. Share your special cookies with them that no one can make as good as you do. Believe you me they will know Great Grandma’s love forever!

10. Janel says

I love what you just said, Christy. I don’t mind my wrinkles and I don’t mind my gray hair. I’ll be so pleased when I’m totally white haired.

I hope I have the laugh wrinkles around my mouth, too. Life is wonderful even with the hard spots we have to endure from time to time.

God bless you!!

11. Elaine Fuller says

Christy, I meet with a group of retired people every Wednesday and Friday at Jack’s. I’ve been making a cake every Friday and carrying for them to enjoy. (Nearly all your recipes). I need your help. I need a SUGAR FREE POUND CAKE RECIPE especially and other sugar free cake recipes. So many of us are diabetics. I would appreciate it so much. You can send it to may e-mail address above. Thank you so much. May God bless you.
    In Christ Love.
    Elaine Fuller.

P.S. I love Lifesaver’s. You are blessed with a God given talent to write these short devotionals.

12. Elizabeth (Liz) says

Christy, loved your post. I smile a lot,not many wrinkles but hair has started graying. It is a joy yo hear grandma I LOVE YOU AND i MISS YOU. CHRISTY I would like a sugar free recipe for a pound cake. Wrinkles made my day smiles.GOD BLESS,

13. Nellie says

Thank you for the lovely post. I have always been and continue to be a huge smiler. Needless to say , I have many wrinkles. I’m okay with them though, because I have had such a great time developing them. It’s rare for me not to receive a smile in return for one I’ve given, so wrinkles are fine with me and evidently others too.

14. Agnes says

This prayer remind me of my mother’s gray hair and deep wrinkles. Losing my parents and my son has being the hardest thing in my life. I will them some day. Thanks for the beautiful prayer.

15. RUBY L BROWN says

I love your e-mails, too. I’m 68 and I don’t have any of the things you walked about that makes you look older, but I do have children and grandchildren that I love very much. And I would gladly get white hair and wrinkles if I could get to see and talk to my one grandson that I don’t get to see and talk to, because I love him and his mother, too even if she dose not know it. Love, Ruby.

16. Cheryl Autrey says

Beautiful words!! I feel the same way! My family means the world to me! I am so Blessed to have nine Beautiful grandchildren to watch growup! I grew up with Wonderful Grandparents that were Godly examples of what family was. We always knew we were Loved and given Hugs and Kisses every time we were together. Our parents always made sure we spent time with them and meals were always a big things. Watching and being in the kitchen with my Grandma and my MawMaw was such a special time. I have always tried to spend time with my GrandKIDS in my kitchen too. Love you Christy!

17. Evelyn Warren says

Thanks Christy, you are always a blessing. I never was blessed with watching my Mother in the kitchen as I was helping on the farm, working the fields. I feel so blessed to have met you. You are much younger than I, my age 71. You are the reason I love to try and cook; you have taught me a lot about cooking and I appreciate this so much.

18. Karen says

Sweet post today. This is the first day in 43 years that I have not cared for a young child on the first day of school. I stayed home with my children when they were small, then went back to school to become a teacher when my youngest started kindergarten. Then I taught for 1 1/2 years at my church’s preschool, then 20 years in public school. When I retired, I had the joy of keeping my 6th grandchild while her parents worked, then I began to keep two of my other grandchildren(#5 & #7) a couple of years later when their mom went back to work. Today, all 7 grandchildren were in school all day. # 6 did come by after school to let me know how her first day at her new school was! I am so blessed because, not only do I have these precious children in my life, but their parents as well. All of them live within 20 minutes of our home. I would not trade these years and the memories we have made together for anything. They don’t notice the wrinkles or gray hair and I don’t pass a mirror all that often!!! Wishing you joy!

19. Eva says

I am 78 years young, I work out in a gym trying to keep in shape (health wise) One day after working out, I went to the car to leave and pulled down the visor, checked the mirror and exclaimed, “My Gosh, where did all those lines come from !” The bright light from the sun is not like the soft “look good” lights of the bathroom mirror. So if you don’t like the look stay in the shade and don’t sit next to windows in restaurants. However, all lines and wrinkles are from smiling too much, and of course sun exposure, but I have always thought crows feet were terribly attractive, especially in men.
    My hair is totally white just like my grandmother’s, and I always wanted her white hair. I get compliments from strangers about my hair and that makes me feel good.
    I have been Blessed more than I deserve so why complain about the “happy lines” in my face,
    Blessings Christy to you and your family.
    Eva

20. Rita Calloway says

I just lost a precious quilting friend.She was 93 and fully white haired and wrinkled.She taught me so much besides how to quilt. She always found some way to contribute to her family and friends on a daily basis.What a wonderful Christian example.Thanks for the article today Christie.

21. Linda Kay Bingham Cornett says

Christy Girl, I agreee with you. A life lived with others in mind, is a life well spent.
    I dont want to quit. Ive already reached the achy joints, tire easily stage, (I am in my early 70′s) but I want to be doing for others till the very end.

22. Sara says

LOL I love this post. I feel the same way. I also think that I will keep my bad knees, I don’t especially want some titanium ones. I’m 61 now (when did that happen? I still see the 18 year old in the mirror. LOL) My Dear Mother was 87 when she “went home”. She was a “Southern Lady” all the way. When she was ill a few years before passing, she was in the hospital. She was in the ICU, and after a few days there, I knew that she was feeling better. How? She told me to bring her magnifier mirror and tweezers and her “fade cream”. No whiskers or spots for her. I loved it!
    Thanks for posting this, I am glad that I am not alone!