Speaking of gathering around, growing up, one of my grandparent’s favorite things to watch each year were the CMA’s. We’d join them over at their house and watch everyone’s favorite singers perform to see if the rest of the world had fallen in love with the same songs we did that year. My favorites as a child were Dolly Parton, The Mandrell Sisters, and of course the Charlie Daniel’s Band.
To make this, peel and cube your potatoes. Place them in a bowl and sprinkle corn meal over them. I’m using about 1/2 cup of corn meal here but you just use as much as you need based on how many potatoes you have. I also use a tablespoon of seasoned salt. Stir this up to coat the potatoes.
Fill a deep skillet with cooking oil (I’m using vegetable oil) to a depth of about 1/2 an inch. Let this heat up over medium high heat until oil is hot enough to fry in. To test this, I just sprinkle a wee bit of corn meal over the oil and if it bubbles then I know the oil is hot enough. Before adding potatoes, reduce heat to medium. Add potatoes to hot oil and cook, stirring often, until potatoes are lightly browned and tender.
Once they have reached the desired level of browning that you want, remove to a paper towel lined plate or bowl (we usually use a bowl) to serve.
These are good with any meal you can come up with!
- 5-6 medium russet potatoes
- ½ cup Martha White Hot Rize Cornmeal Mix
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Fill deep skillet with ½ inch of vegetable oil. Place over medium to medium high heat while you prepare the potatoes.
- Peel and dice the potatoes. Place in a bowl and add cornmeal mix and seasoned salt. Stir to coat.
- Test oil for readiness by sprinkling in a little bit of cornmeal. If the corn meal sizzles, the oil is hot enough. Carefully add potatoes.
- Cook, stirring often, until potatoes are lightly browned and tender, about 10-15 minutes. Remove to paper towel lined bowl. Enjoy warm.
I am honored to be a Martha White Ambassador and would like to thank them for sponsoring this post! All opinions contained herein are my own.Yum