All coleslaws are not created equal. Some are just okay, some are pretty good, and some are magical. Of course, whichever descriptive the coleslaw merits is purely in the eye of the beholder but in my mind, Miss Millie’s Best Coleslaw definitely fits into the “magical” category.
This recipe is heaven in a bowl. It’s great as a side dish or as a topping on your favorite sandwich. Sure to dazzle at the next cookout, this is definitely blue ribbon level!
Who is Miss Millie? My grandmother’s best friend for most of her life. They were neighbors when Grandmama passed away and Miss Millie now lives just two doors down from my mother. What’s more, her son married my aunt so some of my cousins have both my grandmama and Miss Millie as their grandmother! I figured that was grounds enough to adopt her myself
To make our slaw we’ll need: cabbage, carrots, bell pepper, onion, mayo, sugar, cider vinegar, celery seeds, salt, pepper, and Dijon mustard. I know that seems like a lot of ingredients but trust me, it’s worth it. It’s also incredibly simple to make.
Chop up your cabbage and bell peppers, grate carrots and onions, and put it all in a big bowl.
The grated onion thing is a little different but it works so well in this. If you’d rather, you can just chop it really fine. Hey, we all need to rebel from time to time. I get that.
Place all remaining ingredients into a seperate bowl and stir really well until fully combined and sugar is dissolved. Pour over veggies. Cover and refrigerate at least 3-4 hours to allow the flavors to blend.
Try not to eat the entire bowl yourself. If you do, just wash the bowl and put it away and claim you didn’t have time to make any.
Not that I’ve ever done that…..
- 1 medium head green cabbage, cored and shredded
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- Place cabbage, carrots, green pepper, and onion in large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together all remaining ingredients, stirring well to dissolve sugar. Pour over vegetables and stir well to combine. Cover and refrigerate 3-4 hours before serving to allow flavors to blend.