For a deliciously flavorful and delightfully crunchy take on boneless skinless chicken breasts, check out this fun way to use boxed stuffing mix!
I pulled this out of Grandmama’s crate of recipes, which are currently residing at my house while I go through them and pull out recipes for my next book. My son is becoming a non enthusiastic meat eater as of late. He tends to gravitate more to veggies (cooked carrots are his favorite) and so when he ate two servings of this chicken, I knew I had a winner. Ricky is a diehard fan of Granny’s Oven Fried Chicken and declared this to be right up there with it. With even less work on my part that is another point in Crunchy Chicken’s favor. All in all, this is a wonderfully crunchy dish with a POP of flavor thanks to the non traditional use of stuffing mix. It comes together in a flash and cooks up while you do other things. All of that means this is a great dish that the whole family (including the cook!) will love!
And now for the recipe!
Cream of chicken soup*
Boxed stuffing mix (flavor of choice)
Boneless skinless chicken breasts
Start by placing the stuffing mix in a large zipper seal bag and beating the living mess out of it.
I highly recommend hammering out chicken or stuffing mix or cracker crumbs as often as possible as it helps work out the frustration with the craziness in the world around us – and keeps us sweet :).
Stir together the milk and cream soup until well blended.
Make a breading station by placing stuffing crumbs in one bowl and soup mixture in another.
Dip each chicken breast on both sides into the soup…
Then into the crushed stuffing mix, both sides.
Place these on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake at 400 for 20-30 minutes.
Thicker chicken breasts will need closer to thirty minutes, thinner will be closer to twenty. To check for doneness, just cut in the center of one and pull it apart a bit to make sure there isn’t any pinkness.
Serve this hot and crispy chicken as soon as it’s done, with a side of your choice. Mine is featured with Creamy Cucumbers, recipe coming soon!
- 4 large or 6 small boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 box Stovetop Stuffing Mix flavor of your choice (I use Chicken)
- 10 ounce can cream of chicken soup*
- 1/2 cup milk
- Place stuffing mix in large zipper seal bag and crush with a rolling pin or meat tenderizer (or your hands).
- In bowl or measuring cup, stir together soup and milk until well blended. Pour stuffing mix crumbs in one bowl and soup mixture into another.
- Dip each chicken breast, on both sides, first into soup mixture and then into crumbs. Place on greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 for 20-30 minutes, or until chicken is lightly browned and no longer pink in the center.
You may also enjoy these chicken recipes:
As always, I’d just love to hear from you in the comments. You can talk about the weather where you are, this chicken recipe, the cucumber salad on the plate beside it, my self declared Year Of The Book at the bottom, or, just drop a “hidy!” because it is always a joy getting to hear back from you.