Barbara’s Lime Cupcakes are the most amazing cupcakes. The recipe comes from a family friend, Barbara Ingram, who owns a wedding chapel, florist, and catering company in the town of Rogersville, Alabama and this is one of her most requested desserts. In fact, the cupcake pictured above was made by Barbara herself! She sent a batch to my mother and Mama sent a few my way and they were just too pretty not to photograph (that is why you don’t see the step by step photographs). When I called to see if Barbara would mind sharing the recipe with me (and y’all) she immediately said “Of course!”.
- 1 box Lemon cake mix
- 1 small box lime gelatin
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 3 drops green food coloring
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 pound confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Place all ingredients in large mixing bowl and mix with an electric mixer for one minute. Scrape down sides and mix again until smooth, 2 minutes more.
- Line two, 12 cup muffin pans with cupcake papers. Divide batter evenly among both pans. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly browned and they spring back when lightly pressed in the center.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Cream together cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer. Add sugar and vanilla and beat again until smooth and creamy, scraping down sides as needed. Generously frost cooled cupcakes.