free hit counter

Subscribe to Christy's Free Recipe Email plus a FREE Printable Recipe Binder kit!

Thank you!

Comments

Comment Policy: Comments welcome, manners required.

1. Denise in Dallas says

Oh my, that coconut pie brings back memories! I used to make that pie for my dad – any kind of coconut pie was his favorite. He’s been gone a long time now, but I still remember how his eyes would light up when he saw a coconut pie!

I’m making one for my hubbie tonight!

• Denise in Dallas says

Ah, thanks. Isn’t it great how loved ones that have passed are never really gone as long as you remember them?

The pie turned out great and I learned a couple of things while I made it. We don’t have a blender (we have just about every other kitchen appliance you can think of, just not a blender) so I used my fancy schmancy KitchenAid 12cup red food processor that hubbie got for me. Did I say it was red? It’s VERY pretty! Anyway, what I’ve learned is this:

1. The lid of the food processor does not form a pie filling-tight seal to the work bowl.
        2. A simple sheet of plastic wrap placed over the work bown before putting the lid on would have kept the pie filling in the work bowl instead of dripping down the outside.

Luckily, plenty of filling stayed in the food processor and hubbie LOVED the pie!

2. Anna says

Wow, what a hair raising story! Your poor mother. I’m so glad she was able to walk again. I know it’s been several years, but did she recover 100%? I can only imagine how terrifying it would be to get a phone call like that about my mother. I’m 25 years old and my mom and I don’t always get along (we’re very close regardless), but the thought of my mommy being in an accident like that makes me want to curl up into a ball and cry. I also now have a new fear of having my legs out of the car in a car accident- hadn’t really thought of that one before, and there’s not really anything you can do to prevent it. I wonder if locking the doors would make a difference?

3. Amy says

That is the kind of coconut pie I would like! I hate the store bought stuff cause there is never enough coconut in it for me. It kinda resembles the buttermilk pie, b/c it too makes its own crust.

That is a sad story, but thanks to the Drs. your ma is there.

My sad story – My ma always made me coconut cake (I loved her coconut cake), unfortunately, she passed away unexpectedly 1 yr ago tomorrow of a heart attack/stroke.

Anyway – I am going to HAVE to make this, my mouth is watering just thinking about it. Also kinda looks like macaroons in pie form.

4. famprima says

Dear madam,
    Via Tipnut and The Grilled Chicken Tenderloin recipe I found your website. And been reading it for half an hour :). It is here, in the Netherlands, 4.49 a.m….
    Why people don’t sleep huh.
    Can you tell me what is in the Biscuick mix, or the Pioneer, for that matter? I have to replace that with products available here to make the pie.
    Is is like a piemix or is there more to it?
    Would be much obliged.
    Greetings from nocturnal The Netherlands

As I am a newer reader to your blog I just read this recipe. I have been making one that my aunt gave to me many years ago. She was raised in Tenn. and came to Ohio in her forties to open a restaurant. I can remember people lined up for over 45 min. outside her restaurant on Sundays waiting to just get in the door. She is long passed and I am sure I can now pass her recipe on. I have never used the blender to make this but I sure will bring it out the next time. I love your site.
    4 eggs 1-1/2 cups of sugar 1/2 cup of flour 6 to 7 Tbls. butter
    2 cups milk 3 teas. vanilla 1 can of coconut ( about 1 cup)
    Mix (now I am going to Blend) together and bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour. Wonderful!!! And you don’t have to have bisquick.

6. Lori Toler says

I just recently discovered your site and love it! I just tried this coconut pie recipe, it sounded so good and easy. However, I took it out of the oven after about 45 minutes and it is still VERY soupy. The coconut is brown though. It has been cooling for about 20 minutes now and isn’t firming up any. The only thing I did different than your recipe was that I used sweet acidolphulus (sp?) milk and I don’t know if that might be causing the problems. Any suggestions? It looks so good and I want to dig into it, but I will have to get a straw in its current state! 🙁

After trying your Miss Patsy’s Too Easy Coconut Cake last week (yum – and I shared with neighbor), I decided to try this coconut pie this week…..you know……to use up the coconut….yeah……to use up the coconut….:) Since I had no Bisquick, I made my own with all purpose flour, a little shortening, and baking powder. I also used 1 tablespoon of Coconut Oil and 1 tablespoon of butter and I used 1 cup of raw milk and 1 cup of half and half. It filled the pie pan to the rim, so I was afraid it might boil over, but it didn’t – it just puffed up and baked beautifully. I let mine bake for about 5-10 minutes longer and it is really good. It reminds me of an old fashioned pie that perhaps one of my aunts would make. Thanks for this recipe!

8. Stacey says

Don’t know what I could have done wrong, but just made this and my husband was dying to try it before Thanksgiving tomorrow. SO GLAD HE DID! It tasted like EGG CASSEROLE!! Had to sadly throw it away! What did I do wrong?

9. Melissa S. says

I know I have read this before, but as I was looking it over again today (as I have one of these pies in the oven) I read the whole story again. I know what you mean about the special meaning behind things because of the people they remind you of. My mom has been gone from this earth for 10 years now, but I still wish she could make me some of those special (just for me) dishes. In summer it was blueberry pound cake, which I try to make but it’s still not like hers. For my birthday it was parmesan chicken and loaded baked potato casserole with peach delight for dessert. (My birthday is in winter and the blueberry cake is better with fresh blueberries. The peach delight is good with frozen peaches.) Anyway, I am glad that you still have your mom and that she made such a wonderful recovery! I am glad to see your gratitude shine through here and on facebook too!

10. Margaret says

Oh how I love your stories….even the tear-jerker ones….
    My dear Mama went to heaven Aug 3rd 2007, I miss her everyday! She made for me (of all things) buttered hominy….I loved hominy as a kid, (I have 3 sisters & 1 brother and thywere never very fond of it) She always fixed a big family dinner on Sundays and she would fix me hominy occasionally. We`d sit down to eat and she`d say “I made hominy for Margaret” and show her beaming smile. I fix myself hominy about twice a year and when I take a bite I can hear her voice and see her beautiful smile.
    Now I`m crying and I`m at work!
    What an idiot!
    Thanks for sharing your recipes and your life,
    “)
    Margaret

11. Cheryl says

I don’ have any bis quick is there anything else I can see.love your experiences you have had in your life and it is a joy to know The Lord was right there with you. Keep up the good work

12. Leah says

Christy, I’ve just started my own food blog and share family recipes accompanied by stories about my mother teaching me how to cook. I have a coconut pie recipe, too, but this one sounds pretty darn good so I’ll try it out very soon. I’m very glad your mother is okay now. I can only imagine what your family went through waiting for her to recover.
    Leah
    PS. I only use Pioneer, too!

13. Dianne says

Christy, I just made this pie, using gluten free baking mix. It is delicious and my husband is in the kitchen now, getting his second slice! Since he was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease, it was such a treat for him to have one of his favorite pies (coconut). We both thank you and your Mama.

• Patsy says

So glad your mom is OK . Angels and prayers to God I’m sure we’re needed.Physical therapy is torturous . in the end it’s good . I had my knee replaced . Unfortunately my knee came out worse then before . I took a fall at a fast food place . I had some of the best Drs at Hershey Pa. But they said they could recommend having surgery . They said the amount of pain I would go through would not be worth what I got out of it. I went to see another Dr. And he had high hopes of it helping . It didn’t , but after all the physical therapy my husband ( is a nurse) said your gait is worse then before. ” I’m not a horse ” I replied. No said my husband it’s a medical term . I had only heard it in reference to a horse. Life goes on . I’m on disability . I can’t do as much fun things with my grandchildren like I’d love to . Don’t ask me to dance . Many prayers sent to your mom and sister and nephew . I’m sure that day get replayed in there minds many times .God Bless them .

• Irene Gumm says

I always use a mixer and always add the coconut plus some pecans and mix everything all together. The coconut and pecans rise to the top as it bakes. My recipe calls for flour in place of baking mix.

14. Lulu says

This is exactly the kind of story that makes me want to make this pie and tell thhe very special story behind it to my family. We always need to be remembered to not take health and life for granted. Thank you so much, Christy, for sharing this. I only wonder how I would substitute Bisquick or Pioneer because we can not find it in Montevideo, Uruguay…Perhaps I would use a pie crust and…well, I will manage….Thanks again!!!

• Jenne says

Here is a recipe for home made baking mix (Bisquick)
      Homemade Bisquick Mix

Makes: 2 cups

•2 cups flour
      •3 teaspoon baking powder
      •1 teaspoon salt
      •2 Tablespoons shortening (or butter or margarine)

1.Mix all ingredients. Blend until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
      2.Use as a substitution for Bisquick mix. Store in a dry cool place.

• Lara says

This is the pie that my family affectionately calls Mrs McClure’s coconut pie. She was the neighbor at the cabin that would make this pie, sadly she died of cancer while I was away at a Girl Scout event states away. My family LOVES it. I’m going to make it for Easter as it’s just my husband, two kids and myself this year.

Thank you for sharing your story. I’m glad it had a happy ending.