This is our special family recipe for Red Velvet Cupcakes. Made from scratch, they are simple and well worth the time!
The printable recipe is below so bake up some sweetness for your sweetie today!
- 2 +1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1+1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1+1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ounce bottle red food coloring
- 8 ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup butter (or margarine), at room temperature
- 1 pound confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, mix together sugar, buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vinegar. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and beat on medium speed until well blended.
- Add vanilla and entire bottle of red food coloring to batter and mix again on low speed until well blended and uniform in color.
- Line 2 - 12 cup muffin tins with papers. Fill each paper about ¾ full with batter. Will end up with 18-20 cupcakes.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, or until center springs back when pressed lightly with finger. Allow to cool completely before icing.
- Cream together cream cheese and butter. Add sugar and vanilla and beat with electric mixer until smooth and creamy, scraping down sides as needed. Ice cooled cupcakes.
- Can be left at room temp but I love it refrigerated!