Cornbread Topped Chicken Pot Pie
Servings: 9 x13 casserole
- 14 ounce package frozen mixed veggies
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 bouillon cube dissolved in 1 cup of water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons plain all purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy cream or half and half, but cream is best
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups cubed or shredded cooked chicken
For cornbread topping
- 1 cup plain yellow or white cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar can omit if you like
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 stick butter melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 15 ounce can of whole kernel corn drained
Make the filling
Place frozen veggies in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat and cook until veggies are tender, about 5-10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Melt butter in small saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onions and sauté until just barely tender, about 2-3 minutes. Add chicken broth, salt, pepper, and flour and stir until well combined. Add cream and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture has thickened, about five minutes. Remove from heat and pour over the vegetables. Stir in chicken.
Spoon veggie mixture into the prepared dish and set aside.
Make Cornbread Topping
Place cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl and stir to combine. Add milk, melted butter and eggs and stir until smooth. Stir in cheese and drained corn.
Spoon cornbread mixture on top of veggie mixture and spread to cover the filling. Bake until cornbread is lightly browned on top, about twenty minutes. Enjoy!