This recipe for an Orange Juice Cake was passed down to me by my Aunt Sue, about a year ago. My Aunt Sue and I have always been very close, when I was a little girl she loved to take the curling iron to my hair and add a dab of makeup to my face then take me through every room in her house (except the bathroom of course) and take tons of pictures of me. She always wanted a daughter, but had 2 sons instead. So as her only nieces, my sister and I were obligated to get dolled up by her, at least once a week. I have always been told I look like Aunt Sue’s daughter instead of my momma’s, but I love my momma! 🙂
The recipe itself it special to me because it is my grandpa’s favorite cake ever! I have been my grandpa’s girl since I can remember. My dad passed away when I was 7 years old, and I do believe my Pa made a special effort to not let me feel left out at any time. During the long summers as a child my cousins ( all boys) and I would love to go play and wade around in the creek. He was usually busy during the day and would persistently tell them boys “No!” But all I had to do is walk up to him, put my little hand in his and give him that sweet “Papa, can we go to the creek?” and it worked every time.
About 4 years ago while I was home for the summer from college, I was helping Ma and Aunt Sue cut and freeze corn out of the garden. Pa walked in the kitchen holding his chest. He thought he had heartburn and being stubborn went on to bed. He woke up the next morning, drove himself to the hospital and found out he had a heart attack. He was sent on to a larger hospital and ended up having a triple bypass. This was probably the scariest time I had experienced since my own dad died. But Pa made it through and the only thing he wanted to eat was this darn orange juice cake (despite being told to watch his diet). He said if he was gonna die, he was gonna die happy and full. (Thats my pa! hehe).
So since I love my Pa so very much I make him this cake every chance I get. He always makes sure to tell me how good it is too.
- 1 box butter yellow cake mix
- 1 small box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup veggie oil
- 1 cup orange juice (brand does matter here, cheap stuff doesn't taste as good).
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 stick butter/margarine
- ¼ cup orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour bundt pan. Sprinkle pecans in bottom.
- Mix all cake ingredients together and stir till smooth. Pour in bundt pan and bake 33-43 minutes (or till your knife comes out clean).
- Put glaze ingredients in a sauce pan and cook over medium/high heat for 4 or 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Poke a few (4 or 5) holes with a knife in the bottom of the cake (while its still in the pan) and pour the glaze over it.
- Let cake cool for 10 minutes after this before turning out onto a plate.
- Slice and eat, warm or cold, its oh so good.
Hope you enjoy!
In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt.
I really need more quotes so if you have a moment, please hop on over to our “Give A Penny” page and leave your favorite inspirational, motivational, or otherwise uplifting quote. Thank you so much! Gratefully, Christy