Today we have a wonderful guest blogger, Mama Belle! Mama Belle has the most delightful blog called Bayou Belles And Their Beau, and I find myself sneaking over there quite often to peep into her life. I love her writing style and her humor – so y’all know I had to try her food! She is a Southern Belle from cajun country so y’all are in for a treat! Thanks, Mama Belle! Its all yours!
So, here’s how you do it … Chicken, Sausage, and Tasso Gumbo.
- 4 quarts water
- ½ jar of roux
- Cajun seasoning (I always use Tony Chachere's. It's the best!)
- 1 large chicken, cut up (If you don't want the bones, use chicken breasts and boneless thighs.)
- 1 lb. smoked sausage, thinly sliced
- 12 oz. smoked tasso, thin sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 pods garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- ½ c. green onions, chopped
- ½ c. parsley, chopped
- Dissolve roux in water over medium heat and let boil for ½ hour. Season the chicken by coating with cajun seasoning. Add meats and vegetables. Bring to a boil; lower fire to medium heat and cook until chicken and vegetables are tender (about 1½ hours). Add green onions and parsley about 15 minutes before and season to taste. Serve over cooked rice in soup bowls. 6-8 servings.