Grandma was right. Wooden spoons really are the best. They are inexpensive, versatile and often overlooked. They don’t transfer heat the way metal spoons do, and they won’t scratch your non-stick cookware.
Personally, I’ve always loved them. In fact, I have a few very special wooden spoons that were hand carved which I picked up from artisans at craft shows. I love buying them this way because you can “try on” the spoon to find the one that fits in your hand just right.
At the end of this post, I’ll address any concern you have about bacteria in wooden spoons, and I’ll tell you the best way to clean them.
But first, let’s look at 7 great reasons you should go to Amazon right now and buy a bunch of wooden spoons!
7 Reasons Wooden Spoons Are Just the Best
- They hold your oven door open. When you turn off the heat but want to keep something warm, put a wooden spoon between the door and the oven. It will hold it open just enough to let out some, but not all, of the heat.
- They are the perfect for putting holes in cakes. The handle of a wooden spoon is the foolproof way to make uniform holes in a cake so that you can pour something yummy inside. We use these for our poke cakes ( Jello Poke Cake Recipe, Pineapple Poke Cake Candy Corn Poke Cake)all the time.
- They will keep your pot from foaming over the sides. Lay a wooden spoon across the top of a boiling pot to prevent the foam from spilling all over your stovetop. If you’ve ever had to clean up a foaming boil over. This isn’t meant to be kept there or hours. It appears to help for a time but if the boil gets rolling like crazy to avoid overflow, turn down the heat :
- They can tell you whether or not oil is hot enough. Put the end of a wooden spoon in the oil. If it bubbles, it’s ready. The hotter the oil, the smaller and faster the bubbles.
- They won’t cause a metallic taste. If you’re preparing something with acidic ingredients, such as tomato sauce, regular spoons can react with those ingredients and cause a distinct metallic taste. Wooden spoons are nonreactive, so no worries there.
- They’ll secure your cabinets. Slide a wooden spoon between the cabinet handles to keep them closed. If you have a nosy dog or cat, this is a great solution to keep them out of places they shouldn’t be.
- They are ideal for drying pasta and shaping foods. Whether you are a homemade pasta fan, or you love to bake delicately shaped cookies and pastry, you’ll find wooden spoons to be indispensable. Lay one across a big bowl and drape your noodles or other goodies over the spoon handle to dry.
So, do wooden spoons really harbor bacteria? Well, yes. But if you don’t properly clean your metal or silicone utensils, so do they.
The best method for cleaning wooden spoons is the simplest one – wash them in hot, soapy water and dry them with a clean towel. The dishwasher can cause them to crack or warp and letting them air dry may do the same.
If you like, once in a while, you can massage them with a little olive oil or coconut oil to keep them in great shape. Coconut oil in particular has some antimicrobial activity meaning it can help keep some types of bacteria at bay.
What do you think? Are you ready to give wooden spoons another look? Are you already a fan?
Share your thoughts in the comments!