Microwave popcorn makes this candy coated treat quick and easy!
I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We were able to get together with a great deal of our extended family, enjoy one another’s company, and eat some awfully good food. We didn’t do a whole lot other than sit around, drink coffee, and talk, but that was the goal all along – reconnecting. Too often I think we get distracted with the trappings of the holiday that we miss out entirely on the purpose of the holiday itself.
That is one thing we are trying to do – stop talking about supposed meaning of these special days and actually make them special, put our actions where our intent is so to speak. We really set this into motion in a big way last year around this time and cut out a lot of the noise surrounding this time of year to bring the focus in on family, blessings, and gratitude.
We ended up having the least amount of decorations and busy-ness that we’ve ever had and the most meaningful, joyful, and fulfilling season we’d ever had. So this year we are going even further with that concept. We have made some neat plans to implement this and I will probably share some of them in my emails and such so subscribe if you’d like to follow along a bit.
Of course, some of my most precious memories are of time in the kitchen and the gifts of time together are truly some of the most treasured, so I have lots of great recipes coming your way!
This delicious candy coated holiday popcorn crunch begins with microwave popcorn, which means it’s quick and easy to make. It’s a fun treat to make when you want to do something special with a little window of time. Perfect for kids to do on their own, for grandparents to make with grandkids, or you can make it on a larger scale and to give away as treats.
You’ll need: 2 full size bags of no butter microwave popcorn (light butter is okay), 3 cups of pretzels, 12 ounce bag of candy melts (such as Wilton), and some colorful sprinkles.
Pop your popcorn according to package directions. Pour that into a large bowl and stir in pretzels.
Place candy melts in medium sized microwave safe bowl and microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring after each, until melted and creamy.
Pour over popcorn, add some sprinkles, and stir to coat.
I usually add more sprinkles as I stir as well.
Immediately pour it out onto waxed paper and spread it out a bit to allow it to harden.
Once it has hardened, break up the large clumps and store it in an airtight container (or plastic bag) until ready to serve. This is also great to put in those little clear party treat bags, tie with pretty curling ribbon at the top, and give out to friends, family, and coworkers.
So pretty, so yummy, and so easy!
Are you doing anything special this season to slow down and enjoy the things that matter most? I’d love to hear about it in the comments section below. Let’s inspire and encourage one another!
- 2 full size bags microwave popcorn (preferably no butter if possible), popped
- 3 cups mini pretzels
- 12 ounce bag wilton white candy melts (or color of your choice)
- Sprinkles in color of your choice
- Pop popcorn in microwave according to package directions. Pour into a large bowl and add pretzels, stir to combine a bit.
- In microwave safe bowl, place candy melts. Microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring after each, until melted and smooth.
- Pour melted chocolate (candy melts) over popcorn and pretzels and quickly stir until well coated. Add sprinkles before the chocolate sets and stir again, sprinkling as you stir if needed to help evenly coat.
- Pour out onto waxed paper lined baking sheet and allow to Harden. Break up into bite sized pieces and store in airtight container.
This post is featured in Meal Plan Monday and Weekend Potluck
Time spent with loved ones is time well spent.Yum