Today I’m sharing with you a new cookbook from one of the sweetest people you could ever meet, Robyn Stone. Robyn is down to earth, good hearted, a wonderful mom, and an amazing cook and her book feels the same way.
Well, it doesn’t feel like a mom, I mean, not once did it ask me if was really going to wear that or why I didn’t have earrings on (my mother’s pet peeve is me being on tv without earrings).
But I digress…This cook book is gorgeous and filled to the brim with fresh takes on Southern classics as well as the standards we all love, offering up that comfortable feeling of being around Grandma’s table. In short: I love it and recommend it for anyone who loves Southern cooking.
Today I’m sharing a recipe from the book with you that has my mouth watering! Oven Fried Green Tomato Caprese Stacks start off in a skillet but finish frying up in the oven for perfectly tender tomatoes, layer them with two of my favorite ingredients: fresh mozzarella and fresh basil, drizzle with some balsamic reduction, and I will happily make a meal out of this alone!
- Cooking Spray
- 4 large green tomatoes cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 12 whole basil leaves
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450. Line a baking sheet with foil and place wire rack on baking sheet. Lightly spray the rack with oil. Line a second baking sheet with paper towels.
- Place tomato slices on the baking sheet lined with paper towels. Cover the tomatoes with additional paper towels and pat dry.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the buttermilk and eggs. In a separate shallow dish, whisk together corn meal, flour, salt, and pepper. Working in batches, dip the tomato slices into the buttermilk mixture and then into the cornmeal mixture, making sure that both sides and edges are well coated.
- In a medium skillet set over medium heat, heat 3 tablespoons of the oil until it begins to shimmer, about 1 minute. Cook the tomatoes until lightly browned on one side, about one minute. Flip to the other side and cook one more minute. Transfer to the prepared wire rack. Repeat with remaining tomatoes and remaining oil. Bake until for tender, about 20 minutes.
- To make Balsamic Reduction: In a small sauce pan over low heat, bring vinegar to a simmer. Let simmer until vinegar reduces by more than half and coats the back of a spoon, about 15 minutes. Remove the pan from heat and let cool.
- Assemble stacks by placing one tomato slice on a plate. Top with a slice of mozzarella and then a basil leaf. Repeat with another tomato slice, piece of mozzarella, and basil leaf, then top with final tomato slice. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Drizzle with balsamic reduction.