Want a recipe for an easy pot roast recipe in a crock pot that is tender and hearty with beautiful gravy and veggies? Well here you go! This Disney copycat recipe brings restaurant quality right into your home. Southern Plate founder Christy Jordan shares this after a trip to Disney.
I wanted to share a recipe with you for one of my husband’s most cherished dishes in the entire universe. I know that sounds dramatic but Ricky Jordan will happily spend whatever is required for a Disney vacation if it means he will get to eat the pot roast from the Liberty Tree Tavern.
And so, being the good wife that I am, I found the recipe on a Disney website and set to making it. I am happy to report that, although I made one or two modifications, the homemade version tastes identical to the one in the parks. Considering how much a trip to Disney is, I can happily report that it is considerably less expensive to go this route as well!
I use jarred minced garlic instead of fresh because I always have it on hand, but I do use the fresh thyme rather than dried as I’m growing it in my garden this year. I also substitute stew meat for a whole roast as this is just a roast cut into bite sized pieces. I’ve modified the quantities of some of the ingredients to make it more manageable for home cooking as well.
- Your choice of vegetable oil: I use coconut oil
- Stew meat
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Baby carrots (or chopped whole carrots)
- Celery, chopped
- Onion (I used Vidalia but any sweet onion will do)
- Fresh thyme
- Minced garlic
- Beef broth
- Burgundy or Pino noir wine
Place oil in a large dutch oven over medium high heat.
Season with salt and pepper.
Cook, stirring often, until just lightly seared. Remove meat and set aside.
Add butter to pot and allow to melt.
Add in carrots, celery, onion, thyme, and garlic.
Cook (still over medium high heat), stirring from time to time, until veggies are near tender and onions begin to brown.
Crock Pot Pot Roast Gravy
Sprinkle flour over and stir to coat. Continue stirring until flour browns.
Stir in beef broth. Flour will immediately begin to loosen from vegetables and form a smooth, thick gravy. Stir in wine.
Continue cooking and stirring for a few minutes until bubbly.
Transfer to slow cooker/crock pot. Add meat back in, cover.
(Slow cooker) Crock pot pot roast cooking time is set to low for 7-9 hours.
Disney discards veggies before serving the meat and gravy. I confess that we leave them in.
I am so enjoying all that you’re doing with Southern Plate! It is a joy to be able to cheer you on and enjoy sitting at the table with the rest of the family.
Am so grateful to our beloved Christy Jordan for taking a seat at our table and continuing to contribute all her wonderful ideas and experiences. 🙂
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil I use coconut oil but use what you like
- 3 lbs stew meat a large package will do
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 c butter 1 stick
- 2 cups carrots baby, or chopped whole carrots
- 4 stalks celery chopped
- 1 large onion diced
- 2-3 tbsp fresh thyme
- 4 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 c flour
- 48 oz beef broth
- 1 c wine burgundy or Pino noir
- Place oil in a large dutch oven over medium high heat. Add meat and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until just lightly seared. Remove meat and set aside.
- Add butter to pot and allow to melt. Add in carrots, celery, onion, thyme, and garlic.
- Cook (still over medium high heat), stirring from time to time, until veggies are near tender and onions begin to brown. Sprinkle flour over and stir to coat. Continue stirring until flour browns.
- Stir in beef broth. Flour will immediately begin to loosen from vegetables and form a smooth, thick gravy. Stir in wine. Continue cooking and stirring for a few minutes until bubbly. Transfer to slow cooker. Add meat back in, cover, and cook on low 7-9 hours.
If you are curious where Pot Roast came from according to Wikipedia, Pot roast is an American variation of the French dish boeuf à la mode
What Can You Substitute For the Wine?
Since the wine’s acidity helps tenderize the meat and adds to the flavor a good substitute to not lose those effects would be one cup of red grape juice and one tbsp white vinegar for each cup of wine 🙂
What’s The Difference Between This Pot Roast and a Yankee Pot Roast?
A Yankee Pot Roast traditionally has potatoes and onions in it as well. This Disney crock pot version omits those ingredients.
What Goes Well With This Pot Roast?
Serving this with steamed basmati or jasmine rice (keeping carbs low? Our cauliflower rice is here) or egg noodles would work well for this dish as well.
You may also like these recipes:
Tender Pot Roast Recipe and Veggies
I liked the cup of wine part. The recipe never said to add it so I thought it must have ben a super sweet gift from You to me, so I drank it. It was great! Thank You for the recipe and the wine. Cheers!
That looks great! I love comfort food.
Looking at the pictures is making me hungry. I will definitely give it a try. I love to use to have something in the slow cooker ready and waiting at the end of the day.
This looks so good, my mouth is watering. Another Southern Plate recipe I am going to have to try.