If you’re looking for a soft, chewy, ginger cookie with just the right balance of spices, not too strong but just right, this is the cookie for you!
Y’all, my baby girl is turning fourteen in a few days. Where have the years gone? While they’ve flown by we sure have made some wonderful memories and looking back, I’d even go so far to say that we’ve made the best of each day as there is nothing I would change. In honor of her birthday, I’m sharing these soft ginger cookies. Ginger cookies, ginger snaps, gingerbread men, etc are one of those stronger tasting cookies that people either love or hate. When my Katy was a toddler, I was busy in the kitchen making a dessert with a crushed gingersnap crust and she ambled in. I reached down and handed her a gingersnap and quickly realized she fell into the “love” category.
These cookies are soft and wonderful. We especially love them straight out of the oven and you really must try one that way! (Maybe let it cool for a minute). But even after they cool they stay soft and so delicious. The dough is light and fluffy as a cloud and scoops out onto the baking sheet beautifully with a cookie scoop. The flavor? Well, they taste like love, home, and warm evenings by the fireplace.
I reckon you could count me in that love category, too!
To make these, you’ll need: butter, sugar, egg, vanilla, water, molasses, all purpose flour, baking soda, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, and salt.
Now don’t let all of these ingredients make you think this is a high maintenance recipe. It comes together really fast and the dough is so easy to work with!
Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
Add egg and beat that well also.
Add in molasses, water, and vanilla. Beat again with an electric mixer until well combined.
Add in flour, baking soda, salt, and spices and beat again until well incorporated.
Scoop out with a cookie dough scoop and drop in a little bowl of sugar on one side if you like.
Place about 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. While they are baking prepare yourself for wonderful things!
Oops. Part of that one just hopped right into my mouth!
Enjoy these wonderful cookies!
Makes my heart smile just looking at them. I hope they become part of your sweet memories as well!
- 3/4 cup butter softened (1.5 sticks)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 2 +1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In large bowl place softened butter and sugar. Beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat again until incorporated. Add molasses, water, and vanilla and beat again. Add in flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Beat again until a dough is formed, scraping down sides if needed.
- Place a little additional sugar in a small bowl to the side.
- Using a cookie dough scoop, scoop out portions of dough about a tablespoon round and drop into the sugar to coat one side. Place uncoated side down on an ungreased baking sheet, about two inches apart. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes, or until very lightly browned. Allow to cool for a few minutes on baking sheet before removing to cool completely on a cooling rack or platter. ENJOY!
The whole point of getting things done is knowing what to leave undone.