Chocolate Chip Bars are a moist and tender cookie bar with a layer of decadently soft chocolate combined with the taste of butter and brown sugar to make this bar truly a dream.
The ingredients are simple (as I prefer them to be) and incorporate one of my favorite shortcuts for cookie bars: Baking Mix (think Bisquick).
This decadent cookie will have cookie lovers and chocolate lovers singing your praises! This is a recipe I developed a couple of years ago and they have become a dear favorite of mine. Of course, I’m a cookie lover through and through but this one hits all the right notes and contains all of my favorite ingredients in a convenient bar cookie. I MUCH prefer bar cookies since they are so low fuss and perfect for traveling with. Family gatherings, potlucks, bake sales, class parties, and office events just about stand up on their hind legs and beg for these!
The ingredients are simple and you don’t even need a mixer, just stir it all together by hand.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Baking Mix (such as Bisquick)
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Dark Brown Sugar
As always, the full recipe is in printable format at the bottom of this post.
In small pot or microwave safe bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk with 1 + 1/2 cups chocolate chips. Heat at one minute intervals, stirring well after each, until melted, smooth, and able to stir together enough to fully blend the two.
In medium mixing bowl stir together melted butter, brown sugar, vanilla, eggs, and baking mix until ingredients are full incorporated with one another. Stir in remaining chocolate chips.
Spread 2/3 of batter into bottom of greased 9×13 pan. Spread melted chocolate mixture on top and spread to sides. Drop spoonfuls of remaining batter on top.
Spread that to cover it a bit. It’s okay if you still see the chocolate layer through it some. That just makes for a prettier final bar.
Bake this at 350 for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly browned on top.
Printable recipe below!
Allow to cool completely before cutting and enjoy!
- 2 +1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 +1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter 1+1/2 sticks, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 +1/2 cups baking mix such as Bisquick
- In microwave safe bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk with 1+1/2 cups chocolate chips. Heat at 30 second intervals, stirring well after each, until melted and smooth.
- In medium mixing bowl stir together melted butter, brown sugar, vanilla, eggs, and baking mix until well combined. Stir in remaining chocolate chips.
- Spread 2/3 of batter into bottom of greased 9x13 pan. Spread melted chocolate mixture on top and spread to sides. Drop spoonfuls of remaining batter on top.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Allow to cool completely before cutting. oh who are we kidding , try some warm but cool the rest and then cut them so they'll be pretty.
If you have a friend who might enjoy this recipe, please share it with them. You can email a link to this post, share on Facebook, or pin it on Pinterest. Doing either of these helps me tremendously so thank you!
You might also enjoy these cookie bar recipes:
Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars
Peanut Butter Cheesecake Cookie Bars
Festive Fall Cookie Bars (one bowl easy!)
Such a wonderful post. Thank you so much!!
Need to use 8 x 8 size pan, Would this recipe work if divided the ingredients in half?
Don’t have a working full size oven, only a larger toaster oven on the counter.
Yes ma’am, it sure will!