This is a chicken version of the popular pulled pork bbq that can be found at just about any BBQ joint in North Alabama. Many folks forego the sauce entirely because it is already juicy and flavorful so nothing else is needed.
What’s even better is that my version tastes just like the restaurants, but instead of a smokehouse, we use a slow cooker and boneless skinless chicken breasts! Another huge benefit of this for me is that I can make 5 pounds of pulled chicken bbq for what I would purchase 1 pound of bbq for.
If you are looking for some sauce to add, check out the White BBQ Sauce Alabama that Southern Plate is famous for, click here.
- 5 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1.5 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes does not make it spicy
- Place chicken in slow cooker. Pour cider vinegar over and add salt and pepper.
- Cook on high, 4-5 hours or low, 8-9 hours. Use tongs to remove chicken from slow cooker - note that chicken will fall apart as you do this.
- Take out 2 cups of liquid from the slow cooker and discard rest. To that two cups, add brown sugar, hot sauce, and pepper flakes. Stir. Put chicken back in slow cooker, pour sauce over, stir, and enjoy!
Recipes that go with Pulled Chicken:
Homemade Banana Pudding, which could easily bring about world peace if used properly.
Love one another as I have loved you.