Today I’m thrilled to be sharing with you a special recipe from the ole Southern Plate Magazine: Stovetop Mac and Cheese!
This rich creamy and filling Mac and Cheese recipe is out of this world!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 5 cups hot cooked elbow macaroni about 2 1/2 cups uncooked
- Paprika optional
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat; whisk in flour. Cook, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes. Whisk in milk, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer, whisking constantly, over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add Cheddar, cream cheese, and mustard, stirring until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in cooked macaroni and transfer to a serving dish. Sprinkle with paprika, if desired.
You might also enjoy these Mac and Cheese recipes: