I just finished a Facebook Live about this and all the kind folks who tuned in thought this would be a good blog post so here we are! Please share your tips in the comments so we can all learn from one another. Below is the video and beneath that is my list.
- When I need to stock my freezer I set aside a week and go to Sam’s club every day when they open to buy what is marked down. I come home, repackage it in foodsaver bags, label, and freeze it. By midweek I usually have a full freezer.
- We eat a LOT of eggs. They are very inexpensive and really good for you. We usually have them for breakfast (if we are eating breakfast that day), and sometimes have them for snacks or even supper. I also make supper dishes with eggs as the main protein.
- Dish towels instead of paper towels. I bought some dish towels at Sam’s Club, great deal, and try to use them instead of paper towels whenever possible. I keep a little swing lid trash can just for dirty dish towels and wash them whenever it gets full.
- Water down the dish soap! Dish soap is really concentrated and we tend to wash a few dishes individually rather than filling up a sink with dish water. So I save my old bottle to divide up a new bottle and add 50% water. Give it a shake and let it settle and you won’t even be able to tell.
- Instead of eating out, whenever we crave something from a restaurant, we purchase two entrees and bring it home and divide it. There is always enough for 4-5 people and we have a LOT by not ordering everyone their own entree in a restaurant.
- Cook and freeze meals for your own homemade fast food!
- When lifestyle and weather permit, I don’t wash my hair every day. This saves 50% or more on hair products, which can be very pricey.
- Poshmark – whenever I want to buy something new such as clothing, shoes, or handbags, I shop around on Poshmark instead of in stores. Sometimes I will even go in stores, find what I want, and then start looking for it on Poshmark. I’m happy to wait until I find it for the price I’m willing to pay. One year, I got my mother over $800 of J.Jill clothing, most with tags attached, for a little over $100 using this app. It’s pretty much Ebay but for people cleaning out their closets. If you sign up and use code SOUTHERNPLATE as a referral you’ll save $10 off your first purchase and I’ll get $10 credit, too.
- Wear clothing twice. Again, this is dependent on lifestyle and weather but I usually wear most things twice. I keep all of my fresh clothes on the right side of my closet and the ones I’ve worn on the left. Then, when I take something off the left side to wear I know it needs to be washed after that. This saves money on laundry and wear and tear on garments as well.
- Youtube for School and learning. We homeschool and it is amazing how many tutorials you can find for different subjects on Youtube. We also recently avoided having to replace our refrigerator by finding a youtube video on how to repair it. I’m currently using an app called Duolingo to learn another language and it’s free as well. The way the app teaches is really connecting and I’m learning at a pace I never thought I could learn at! This is my Duolingo invitation code if you’d like to use it: Learn a language with me for free! Duolingo is fun, and proven to work. https://invite.duolingo.com/BDHTZTB5CWWKTNZ67SGVI4NJRY
Leave your tips and ideas in the comments, we’d love to hear from you and your inspiration can help everyone!