Blueberry Crunch Bars first appeared in my third cookbook, Sweetness: Southern Recipes to Celebrate the Warmth, the Love, an the Blessings of a Full Life.
This recipe is from my friend, Valerie Holt, who teaches Home Economics at Woodland High School in in Cartersville, Georgia. We met at the National Cornbread Festival and became fast friends.
As a blueberry lover myself, I have to tell you that I made these the moment Valerie shared the recipe with me and have already lost count of how many times I’ve made them since!
The ingredients are simple and you likely have most of them on hand. The recipe is pretty straight forward as well and it’s in printable format at the bottom of this post!
Look at these gorgeous blueberries! I just love seasonal fruit!
Please make these soon. You’ll be glad you did!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups quick oats
- ¾ cup cold unsalted butter cubed
- 1/8 tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 TB cornstarch
- 3 TB lemon juice
- ¾ cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 375. Grease a 9 x 13 metal baking pan.
- Put first 7 ingredients in the food processor and process until crumbly not a ball. Reserve 2 cups for topping.
- Press remaining crumb mixture into pan. Set aside.
- Put rest of ingredients into a small sauce pan and bring to a boil for 2-3 minutes until thick. It will look like blueberry jam. Spread over crust. Put on reserved topping and bake 25-30 minutes or until golden. Cool completely and enjoy!
I am a strawberry or cherry girl all the way.
My favorite summer dessert would be blackberry cobbler.
Strawberry cake or peach cobbler or banana pudding are all summer favorites to me.
I love blueberries and this recipe really looks good. Can’t wait to try it.
These bars look delicious, even though I don’t care for blueberries. It reminds me of a date bar recipe my mom used to make–yummy! I wonder what other berries (or other fruits) Would work in this recipe?
Delicious bars, I’m loving those blueberries – what a treat! Pinning this to make soon!!
These blueberries look so amazing! I just want to face plant in those bars!