Do you like casseroles that are cheesy, creamy, bursting with potatoes, and ridiculously easy to make with just 6 ingredients? Well, let me introduce you to my cheesy hashbrown casserole recipe.
Do I have the perfect casserole for you today? Now, I’ve shared plenty of casseroles on Southern Plate over the years. We’ve covered breakfast to dinner, but today we’re focusing on this cheesy hashbrown casserole, which you can enjoy any time of day. It’s very similar to the Cracker Barrel hashbrown casserole, with one extra ingredient to make it just a little bit creamier.
Y’all, this is such an easy recipe. It takes about 5 minutes to mix the ingredients together, which includes frozen hash browns, shredded cheese, cream of chicken soup, milk, sour cream, and onion. Then you have to wait patiently for it to bake in the oven. But the end result is worth the wait, let me tell ya! It’s cheesy, it’s creamy, it’s full of flavor, and it’s overloaded with shredded hashbrowns. What more could you want?
How about the fact you can enjoy it from breakfast to dinner as a main meal or a side dish? Yep, this cheesy potato casserole ticks that box too. Keep scrolling to the bottom for the recipe card, lots of serving suggestions, and some more easy casserole recipes.
- Frozen shredded hashbrowns
- Cream of chicken soup (here’s my homemade cream of chicken soup recipe if you prefer).
- Milk (any kind you like)
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
How to Make a Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spray a 9×13 casserole dish with nonstick spray.
While still in the bag, break apart the frozen hash browns.
In a large bowl put the onion, 1 cup of shredded cheese, milk, cream of chicken soup, and sour cream.
Stir to combine.
Add the hashbrowns to the bowl as well.
Stir them up to evenly coat.
Pour into the prepared pan…
And top with the remaining shredded cheese.
Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes.
Remove the foil…
And bake for 5-10 minutes more until the cheese is a bit brown.
Then it’s time to serve your cheesy casserole to your hungry household.
My goodness, how gloriously creamy and cheesy does that look?
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Reheat them either in the microwave or the oven.
- You can also store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating as above.
- Go down the “funeral potatoes” route and add 2 cups of crushed cornflakes mixed with ¼ cup of melted butter to the top of your casserole for a bit of crunchy goodness if you like. Do so in the last 5 to 10 minutes.
- Instead of cornflakes, you can use panko breadcrumbs, crushed Ritz crackers, crispy rice cereal, or crushed potato chips.
- Want to add a little more flavor with some seasoning? Opt for 1/2 a teaspoon each of garlic powder and onion powder. You can also add salt and pepper to taste (I’d start with 1/2 a teaspoon of each as well).
- Another way to add flavor is to add a cup of crumbled bacon bits, crumbled sausage (both cooked), or cubed ham to the hashbrown mixture.
- Feel free to use any type of canned soup, like cream of cheddar soup or cream of mushroom soup instead.
- You can also use any type of cheese in your casserole. That might be sharp cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, shredded mozzarella cheese on top for ultimate ooey-gooey goodness, or a combination of cheddar and shredded parmesan cheese.
Can I make my cheesy hashbrown casserole ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this casserole in advance. Just cover it with plastic wrap or foil and store it in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Then go ahead and bake as instructed for a wonderful main meal or side dish.
Do I have to thaw frozen hash browns for casserole?
No, I don’t think there’s any need to thaw these frozen potatoes before adding them to the casserole. I find they cook up perfectly in the extended cooking time, probably because they’re small and shredded. But if you are concerned, let them sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before baking. Just make sure you drain any excess water beforehand.
Can you make hashbrown casserole in the slow cooker?
Yes, you can make this in the slow cooker. Follow the directions and cook the casserole in the slow cooker on low for 4 to 5 hours, stirring occasionally. You can either add the cheese at the beginning or in the last 30 minutes so it melts on top.
What do you serve with a hash brown casserole?
Now, you can easily serve this cheesy hashbrown casserole as a main dish or a side dish. Here are just some serving suggestions:
- For breakfast, serve it with a side of eggs, crispy bacon, sausage, or ham.
- Enjoy it as a side dish with breakfast quiche, sausage and cornbread breakfast sliders, or breakfast burritos. I mean, you can even add it to the burrito if you want, I’m not gonna stop ya!
- For dinner, serve it alongside some protein, like chicken fried steak, burgers, pork chops, or grilled chicken tenders.
- Enjoy it as a main meal with a vegetable side dish, like zucchini and squash, or fresh green beans.
- Serve it with a garnish of chopped green onion or chopped fresh parsley.
You may also like these easy casserole recipes:
Hash Brown Casserole With Sour Cream
Cinnamon Roll French Toast Casserole
Cracker Barrel Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole (Copycat Recipe)
Jiffy Cornbread Casserole With Ham and Cheese
- 30 oz frozen shredded hashbrowns
- 1 10.5-oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup milk (any type)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 oz sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9x13 casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- While still in the bag, break apart the frozen hash browns.30 oz frozen shredded hashbrowns
- In a large bowl, put the onion, 1 cup of cheese, milk, cream of chicken soup, and sour cream, and stir to combine.1 10.5-oz can cream of chicken soup, 1 cup milk (any type), 1/2 onion, chopped, 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, 8 oz sour cream
- Add the hashbrowns to the bowl as well. Stir them up to evenly coat.30 oz frozen shredded hashbrowns
- Pour into the prepared dish and top with the remaining shredded cheese.2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for 5-10 minutes more until the cheese is a bit brown.
That sounds heavenly