Blueberry Crunch Bars first appeared in my third cookbook, Sweetness: Southern Recipes to Celebrate the Warmth, the Love, an the Blessings of a Full Life.
This recipe is from my friend, Valerie Holt, who teaches Home Economics at Woodland High School in in Cartersville, Georgia. We met at the National Cornbread Festival and became fast friends.
As a blueberry lover myself, I have to tell you that I made these the moment Valerie shared the recipe with me and have already lost count of how many times I’ve made them since!
The ingredients are simple and you likely have most of them on hand. The recipe is pretty straight forward as well and it’s in printable format at the bottom of this post!
Look at these gorgeous blueberries! I just love seasonal fruit!
Please make these soon. You’ll be glad you did!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups quick oats
- ¾ cup cold unsalted butter cubed
- 1/8 tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 TB cornstarch
- 3 TB lemon juice
- ¾ cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 375. Grease a 9 x 13 metal baking pan.
- Put first 7 ingredients in the food processor and process until crumbly not a ball. Reserve 2 cups for topping.
- Press remaining crumb mixture into pan. Set aside.
- Put rest of ingredients into a small sauce pan and bring to a boil for 2-3 minutes until thick. It will look like blueberry jam. Spread over crust. Put on reserved topping and bake 25-30 minutes or until golden. Cool completely and enjoy!
My favorite dessert in the summer is either ice cold watermelon or homemade vanilla ice cream
These bars look so yummy! I love oatmeal in any crust! Blueberries are one of my favorites also!
My favorite summer dessert would be strawberry shortcake. Anything with strawberries is yummy.
I can’t wait to try some of these desserts! Winning a prize would just be the “icing on the cake!”
I LOVE a blueberry crumble!
Pineapple Almond Dessert
This recipe looks amazing! Perfect for summer!!!