See how easy it is to make the oven version of everyone’s favorite Cheesy Chicken and Rice!
Rice is a staple in the homes of countless families around the world for good reason. It’s filling, can be adapted to countless dishes, and the options for adding flavor are limitless. With September being National Rice Month this seemed like a perfect time to offer up the oven version of the most popular recipe of all time on SouthernPlate – Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken and Rice! This is one of the most loved recipes because even the pickiest of eaters sing the praises of supper when this is on the menu.
The recipe is pinned an average of 400,000 times per month and the video has been viewed over 24 million times on Facebook. It’s a simple recipe to make and my original version shows folks how to make it in the crock pot but today I’m going to show you how easy it is to make in the oven for those days when you either forgot to put it in the crock pot or just want a quick and delicious family pleasing supper.
To make Cheesy Chicken and Rice you’ll need these ingredients:
- Cooked cubed chicken*
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Melted butter
- Cream Of Chicken Soup (homemade recipe here)
- Can of Corn
- Zatarain’s Yellow Rice Mix
Tips about the ingredients for Cheesy Chicken and Rice:
Zatarain’s Yellow Rice has always been the secret to success with this recipe. It has all the flavor and seasonings in it that you need. It is widely available at Walmart, Target, from Amazon, and you can check at your local grocers. However I have had subscribers tell me they used another type of rice, even cauliflower rice and it turned out just fine.
*For the chicken I like to make a double batch from time to time and freeze part of it. I also use Rotisserie chicken sometimes as well! Whichever type of chicken you want to use will be just fine.
- To make this: Cook rice according to package directions. Place cooked rice and all other ingredients (except for cheese) in a medium mixing bowl and stir until well combined.
- Pour into a lightly greased 8×8 baking dish and place in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes. Remove, top with cheese, and return to oven until cheese is melted.
This Cheesy Chicken and Rice is also one of those recipes that reheats like a dream so feel free to double it and make it in a 9×13 to have some for later as well.
An 8×8 generally serves a family of four to five if you serve it with a side of green beans but serving sizes and appetites vary widely by family.
I hope you get to make this soon!
- 1 box Zatarain's yellow rice
- 1 can cream of chicken soup homemade recipe here
- 1/2 stick of butter melted
- about 2 cups cooked chicken cubed or shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 can whole kernel corn drained
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- In large bowl, stir together rice, chicken, cream soup, melted butter, and corn. Pour in casserole dish and bake, uncovered, for twenty minutes at 350.
- Sprinkle cheese all over top and bake five minutes more, or until cheese is melted.
To see the crock pot cheesy chicken and rice video click here
You may also like these recipes from Zatarain’s Website:
This recipe is simple and delicious with very few ingredients! Click here to check it out
Check out the whole library of Zatarain’s recipes by clicking here.
Disclaimer: This post was graciously sponsored by Zatarain’s and I’m so excited to work with a brand I’ve relied on for years in my kitchen! Special thanks to them for their support of SouthernPlate! All opinions contained in this post are my own.