I was hankering from some lasagna today but wanted to make it low carb. So I came up with this Low Carb Lasagna Stuffed Chicken. Hearty, flavorful and delicious, this low carb dish is a perfect supper anytime.
Low Carb Lasagna Stuffed Chicken
I love low carb meals and this one is so good we sometimes don’t even have sides with it! When we do, a nice side of fresh green beans or a salad work beautifully. This is one of my “meals for two” that I make and so this recipe is a smaller scale because most of my recipes are usually for around four people. Of course, you can double, triple, or do whatever you need to do to be able to make it for the number in your brood.
If you want to skip right to the recipe, scroll down to the first photo or scroll all the way to the bottom to the printable recipe card.
And now, let’s make some Low Carb Lasagna Stuffed Chicken!
- 2 chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Shredded mozzarella
Can I Use Cottage Cheese Instead of Ricotta?
You sure can. Cottage cheese is less calories than Ricotta so that will bring the calorie count of the dish down even more.
Cut each chicken breast about 3/4 through, being careful not to cut all the way through. You can use a spatula as pictured to hold that slippery sucker down and keep from cutting your hand in the process.
Place 1/2 of the mozzarella, all of the ricotta, Italian seasoning, and some salt in a small or medium mixing bowl and stir until well combined.
Stuff each chicken breast with the mixture. Then, sprinkle them with garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste.
Heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet (oven proof if you have it) over medium high heat. Place chicken breasts in skillet and cook for about 5 minutes on each side, flipping once.
Top with marinara and remaining cheese.
Place this in the oven at 450 for 10-15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
What Can I Use If I Don’t Have an Oven Proof Skillet?
If you don’t have an oven proof skillet, just transfer them to an 8×8 and put that in the oven, it’ll work just fine.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- ¾ cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste for seasoning chicken breasts
- ½ cup marinara sauce
- In a medium bowl, place 1/2 cup of mozzarella, all of the ricotta, Italian seasoning, and salt. Stir until well blended and then set aside.
- Place chicken on a cutting board and carefully slice 3/4 of the way through the side with a sharp knife. An easy way to do this is to hold the chicken breast down with the flat end of a spatula. Be careful not to cut all the way through as your goal is to create a pocket.
- Heat about two tablespoons or so of olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Stuff cheese mixture into the pocket of each chicken breast. Season the chicken breasts with garlic powder, and salt and pepper.
- Place chicken in heated skillet and allow to cook for about five minutes before flipping to the other side and cooking for another five minutes.
- Remove from heat and spoon marinara sauce over each chicken breast. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella cheese over the top of this.
- Place in 450 oven for 10-15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. If your skillet isn't oven safe, just transfer them to an 8x8 baking dish and place that in the oven instead.
“It’s easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.”