These no bake peanut butter bars are an old school cafeteria recipe from back in the days when the lunch ladies would come in at the break of dawn and set to making the day’s meals from scratch. These ladies were our mothers away from home, always there to make sure we got enough to eat!
Peanut butter treats were usually in abundance since peanut butter was a government commodity, provided in large quantities to lunchrooms. This is a great recipe that requires no baking and ends up tasting like what a Reese’s cup aspires to be .
Ingredients you will need for the no bake peanut butter bar recipe are:
Creamy Peanut butter
Semi sweet chocolate chips.
You don’t have to have a whole tub of peanut butter like I have pictured here so don’t worry about that. My family just happens to think peanut butter is the best thing since…well peanut butter, so I tend to buy it in large quantities.
- Place all ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Microwave until the butter and peanut butter are both melted, this will take about a minute or so.
NOTE: Check it after 45 seconds and make sure though because microwaves vary so greatly.
- This is our melted “stuff”.
- Now take a spoon and give it a really good stir.
NOTE: At first this peanut butter bar mixture will seem like a big old mess, but after several stirs it will all come together and leave the sides of the bowl.
- Now transfer your peanut butter mixture into the bottom of a 9×13 pan and pat it out into the pan with your hands.
- Time to crank up that microwave again! Pour the entire package of chocolate chips into a bowl and microwave them at 30 second intervals, stirring in between each, until completely melted.
- Pour the melted chocolate chips over your peanut butter mixture and spread it all around until the top is evenly covered.
- Now the hard part: waiting for these peanut bars to harden.
You can do this at room temperature or you can do like me and place it in the fridge for about half an hour or so.
Cut into bars and serve.
Leftovers can be stored in your cookie jar on the counter or in the refrigerator, whatever cranks your tractor 🙂 .
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar light or dark, again whatever you have
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups peanut butter
- 2- 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Place all ingredients (except chocolate chips) in a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave until butter and peanut butter are melted, one to two minutes (time will vary by microwave).
- Remove from microwave and use a large spoon to stir all of the ingredients together (except chocolate chips) until they form a ball of dough that leaves the side of the bowl. Pat into a 9x13 pan.
- Pour chocolate chips into another microwave safe bowl and microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring after each, until completely melted. Spoon over top of peanut butter mixture and spread evenly.
- Allow to cool completely at room temperature until chocolate hardens again or place in the refrigerator for faster hardening. Cut into squares and serve to some awfully happy people!
You may also like these bar recipes:
And here are some peanut butter recipes you might like:
Don’t miss a single post – Subscribe by e-mail (It’s FREE!)
“Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves.”
Submitted by April. Submit your quote by clicking here.