This Red Beans and Rice Recipe made Louisiana-Style from Hello Fresh is out of this world. When I took over running Southern Plate I found it harder finding time to get out shopping and make healthy meals. So while I continue to develop new recipes and update past recipes I thought I would give Hello Fresh a try to streamline some of my shopping and healthy meal making.
The flavors in this Red Beans and Rice recipe are rich and delicious. You won’t want to miss it.
Hello Fresh provides an ingredient list and detailed instructions and images regarding how to prepare the dish.
The ingredients you’ll need for the Louisiana-Style Red Beans and Rice recipe are:
- Green Bell Pepper
- Kidney beans
- Rice (Basmati which is low glycemic or Cauliflower rice for low carb)
- Tomato Paste
- Celery Salt
- Blackening Seasoning
- Veggie stock concentrates
- Oil (We use olive oil in this recipe)
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce
How To Make Red Beans and Rice Recipe Louisiana Style
by Hello Fresh
- Wash and dry all produce and core the Bell Pepper
- Trim and thinly slice scallions separating whites from greens.
- Finely dice Bell Pepper
- Peel and mince garlic
- Drain and rinse red beans.
- Remove and discard any large stems from kale.
- In a small pot, combine rice, water and a pinch of salt.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a low simmer.
- Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes.
- Keep covered off heat.
- While rice cooks, heat a drizzle of oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat.
- Add bell pepper and cook until lightly browned and slightly softened for about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in scallions, mostly the whites.
- Add half the garlic and cook until fragrant, roughly 30 seconds.
- Stir in tomato paste, paprika, celery salt, and Blackening spice.
- Cook until thoroughly coated, approximately 30 seconds more.
- Add beans to pot, stirring until combined.
- Add 2 oz of concentrated veggie stock.
- Add water. Bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium low.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until thickened approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in butter. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
TIP: If the bean mixture is too thick for your liking, then add another bit of water.
This is making my kitchen smell AMAZING!
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium high heat.
- Add the remaining garlic and cook until fragrant approximately 30 seconds.
Oh my, I love the smell of garlic cooking.
- Stir in kale
- Add water.
- Add remaining veggie stock.
- Stir occasionally until liquid has evaporated and kale is wilted. Braise that kale y’all!
- Add butter and stir it in. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a medium sized bowl, divide rice, stewed beans and kale and plop a dollop of sour cream right there in the middle.
- Drizzle with hot sauce to taste.
- Sprinkle with scallion greens and serve it up.
Hello Fresh made this a convenient way to fix a healthy meal. But you sure can make this yourself as well.
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 2 Scallions
- 1 Clove of garlic
- 4 oz Kale
- 1 cup Water
- 1.5 oz Tomato paste
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Celery salt
- 1 tbsp Blackening spice
- 13 oz Kidney beans
- 2 tbsp Veggie stock
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 cup Rice Brown, Basmati, Jasmine or Cauliflower
- 1 tsp Hot sauce
- 4 tbsp Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt
- Wash and dry all produce before you halve, core and finely dice bell pepper. Trim and thinly slice scallions separating the white from the green. Peel and mince garlic. Drain and rinse beans. Remove stems from the kale.
- Cook Rice: In a small pot combine rice of your choice and 3/4 oof water, and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. Keep off heat with cover on until ready to serve.
- While rice cooks, heat a drizzle of oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and cook until lightly browned and slightly softened for approximately 4-5 minutes.Stir in scallion whites and half the garlic. Cook until you smell the garlic, approximately 30 seconds. Stir in tomato paste, paprika, celery salt, and Blackening spice. Cook until thoroughly coated.
- Add beans to the pot with bell pepper mix. Combine by stirring. Add 1.5 tbsp stock concentrate, add 1/2 cup water. Bring to simmer then reduce heat to medium low. Cook stirring until thickened approximately 8-10 minutes. Stir in 1 tbsp of butter and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large pan heat a drizzle of oil over medium high heat. Add the rest of the garlic and cook for about 20-30 sec. Stir in kale, and 1/4 water plus the rest of the veggie stock concentrate. Cook stirring until liquid is gone and kale is wilted approximately 5-7 minutes. Stir in 1 tbsp butter and salt and pepper to taste.
- Fluff up the rice with a fork and then divide rice, beans, and kale in a bowl. Place a dollop of sour cream (or Greek yogurt) in the middle. Drizzle hot sauce over the meal to taste. Sprinkle the green scallions around the top. And enjoy!
Ingredients for the Blackening Spice Blend are:
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 1.5 tsp garlic powder
- .5 tsp white pepper
- .5 tsp black pepper
- .25 tsp thyme
- .25 tsp oregano
- .125 tsp low heat cayenne
You may also like these bean or rice recipes:
Original Red Beans and Rice