In honor of the upcoming National Cornbread Festival in South Pitsburgh, Tennessee, I’ve teamed up with Martha White and some of my blogging friends to have us a big old online potluck, including Red Beans and Cornbread!
This will be my third year judging the Cornbread Festival and it has become an event I look forward to all year long. I love tasting all of the wonderful recipes home cooks like you have come up with. If you haven’t considered entering a recipe, I hope you will. It’s easy to do and I happen to know for a fact that y’all are some of the best cooks around! For complete details on how to enter, please click here. The deadline is February 28th, so fire up those ovens!
Below is the dish I’m bringing so make sure you grab the recipe, and at the bottom you’ll see a whole passel of other wonderful dishes so be sure and visit their blogs to gather up more yummy recipes for your family’s collection.
You’ll need: Red Beans (leftover or in a can), Chopped Green Chilies, Diced Tomatoes, Polish Sausage, and a package of Martha White Sweet Yellow Cornbread and Muffin mix.
Seasonings are really up to you on this. A little bit of dry cajun seasoning would be great. I used a tablespoon of Seasoned Salt and 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder.
You’ll also need the ingredients the mix calls for on the package 🙂
To get started, dice up about 2 cups of polish sausage and brown it in a skillet over medium heat.
Add in all other ingredients.
Add in your seasonings.
Whoa! Who turned the lights down?
Bring this to a boil while stirring constantly, then reduce to a simmer and allow to cook for about ten minutes, until it cooks down some, stirring every now and then.
Mix up your cornbread mix according to package directions.
Pour over top of skillet.
Bake at 400 for 17-20 minutes, or until lightly golden on top.
Get my recipe below and be sure and visit all of my other friends who are cooking up dishes for our online potluck!
Other Recipes We’re Sharing Today:
- 1 Package Martha White Sweet Cornbread Mix plus ingredients on pkg to make it
- 2 cups chopped polish sausage
- 16 ounce can red beans undrained (Can substitute kidney beans)
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes undrained
- 4 ounce can chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon Season All Seasoned Salt*
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder*
- In iron (or regular) skillet, brown sausage over medium heat. Add beans, tomatoes, and chilies, and spices. Stir.
- Bring just to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer about ten minutes, or until thickened.
- Prepare cornbread mix according to package directions. Pour mix over top of skillet. Bake at 400 for 17-20 minutes, or until lightly golden on top.
*Have fun and customize your spices! Suggestions are Cajun seasoning, your favorite dried herbs, cumin, or even chili powder.
“Don’t doubt in the darkness, what you believed in the light.”
~Unknown. Submitted by Mary. Read more or submit your own positive or encouraging quotes by clicking here.
If you’d like more family friendly recipes and encouragement delivered to your inbox whenever I post anything new, be sure and subscribe to the Southern Plate Newsletter. You’ll receive an average of 2-3 emails a week and no one will ever see your email address but me. Click here to subscribe.Yum