Hey Friends! This is our special family recipe for Homemade Red Velvet Cupcakes. They are made from scratch, so don’t let the ingredient list intimidate you. Despite being made from scratch these Red Velvet Cupcakes are simple and well worth the time! So if you are looking for a great recipe to take and share with family, friends, church get-togethers, at holidays or just as a dessert or snack at home these are perfect! Most people tend to associate red velvet with holidays and gatherings in December but these make wonderful treats for loved ones at Valentines Day!
The printable recipe is below so bake up some sweetness for your sweetie today!
- 2 +1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 +1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 +1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ounce bottle red food coloring
Cream Cheese Icing
- 8 ounce package cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, at room temperature
- 1 pound confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, mix together sugar, buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vinegar. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and beat on medium speed until well blended.
- Add vanilla and entire bottle of red food coloring to batter and mix again on low speed until well blended and uniform in color.
- Line 2 - 12 cup muffin tins with papers. Fill each paper about 3/4 full with batter. Will end up with 18-20 cupcakes.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, or until center springs back when pressed lightly with finger. Allow to cool completely before icing.
- Cream together cream cheese and butter. Add sugar and vanilla and beat with electric mixer until smooth and creamy, scraping down sides as needed. Ice cooled cupcakes.
- Can be left at room temp but I love it refrigerated!
Makes about 18-20 cupcakes.
You might also enjoy this recipe!Cornflake CookiesYum