Red Velvet Bundt Cake is soooo good y’all! It’s so moist and lightly dense you and your family will love it. Look how gorgeous that is. I made this delicious red velvet bundt cake with a cream cheese glaze for the holidays but it’s perfect for any celebration when you want to impress.
I hope you love it and make it soon!
Ingredients for Red Velvet Bundt Cake are:
- Unsalted butter (1 stick) – softened
- Granulated sugar
- Red food coloring or beetroot powder
- Baking soda
- White vinegar
- Cake flour or All Purpose flour*
- Cocoa powder
*What’s the Difference Between All Purpose Flour and Cake Flour?
Cake flour has less protein (gluten) as compared to All Purpose Flour. It is more dense and milled to be ‘finer’ than normal all purpose flour. You can use either in this Red Velvet Bundt Cake recipe but if you want a lighter texture cake, meaning, less dense, then use the cake flour.
*I Want a Lesser Dense/Lighter Cake But I Only Have All Purpose Flour, What Should I Do?
You can take your All Purpose Flour and for every cup remove 2 tablespoons of the flour and add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. This will make the cake less dense. But if you are happy with a denser bundt cake, then just substitute one to one; cake flour versus All Purpose Flour
For The Cream Cheese Icing you’ll need:
- Cream cheese
- Unsalted butter – softened
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Milk (not pictured)
How To Make A Red Velvet Bundt Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting Step by Step Pictorial
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl add the butter and sugar. Using a hand or stand mixer, blend sugar and butter together
Add the red food coloring or beetroot powder to the buttermilk and stir it in.
Pour the red butter milk mixture, eggs, and vanilla into the butter/sugar mixture. Mix just until combined.
Stir in the baking soda and vinegar.
*Note* Be sure not to overmix! Over mixing the butter and sugar or any of the steps could result in a dense cake. To keep the cake light and fluffy mix each step just until combined.
In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Fold the dry mixture into the wet mixture.
Fold the dry mixture into the wet mixture.
Prepare a 10-inch bundt cake pan with a non-stick baking spray.
Pour batter into the prepared pan.
Bake for 45-50 minutes, just until a toothpick comes out clean.
Cool for 10 minutes and then invert onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Prepare the cream cheese frosting:
In a small bowl, using a hand or stand mixer, cream together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add in the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk.
Mix everything until well combined. Test the consistency with a spoon.
Test the Frosting
If the frosting needs to be thinned out a little more just add more milk 1 tablespoon at a time. Once desired consistency has been reached.
Spoon the frosting over the cake.
Optional: Top the frosting with some chocolate shavings.
Look at that beauty!
Grab yourself a slice!
- 1/2 cup Unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/2 cup Granulated sugar
- 2 Large eggs
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 2 tbsp Red food coloring or approx 2 tsp Beetroot Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp White vinegar
- 2 cups Cake flour or All purpose flour see notes
- 3 tbsp Cocoa powder
- 1 tsp Salt
Cream Cheese Icing
- 8 oz Cream cheese
- 4 tbsp Unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/2 cup Powdered sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/4 cup Milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 10inch bundt cake pan with a nonstick baking spray. In a large bowl, using a hand or stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the red food coloring to the buttermilk and stir it in. Pour the butter milk, eggs, and vanilla into the butter mixture and mix just until combined. Stir in the baking soda and vinegar.
- *Note* Be sure not to overmix! Over mixing the butter and sugar or any of the steps could result in a dense cake. To keep the cake light and fluffy mix each step just until combined
- In a small bowl whisk the flour, cocoa powder, and salt together. Fold the dry mix into the wet mix and pour the batter into the prepared bundt cake pan. Bake for 45-50 mins, just until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 mins and then invert and place on wire rack to cool completely.
Cream Cheese Icing
- Add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk. Mix it all together until well combined. Test the consistency with a spoon and if it needs to be thinned add a little more milk 1 tablespoon at a time. Once desired consistency has been reached, spoon the frosting over the cake. Optional: Top frosting with Chocolate powder or shavings
You may also enjoy these red velvet recipes: