How to Make a Chocolate Pound Cake Recipe with Fudge Glaze
I have received a lot of requests for recipes in the past, but Grandmama’s Chocolate Pound Cake with Fudge Glaze is the one cake that I am asked to make most often.
A Good As Gold Old Fashioned Chocolate Pound Cake Recipe
It’s just a good old fashioned chocolate pound cake recipe from my Grandmama that is sublime on its own, but when you add Grandmama’s fudge icing (what the old folks called Boiled Icing) it becomes a favorite to all.
What is Boiled Icing?
Have you ever had your granny make one of those cakes that when she cut into it, the icing cracked and broke off in huge fudgey chunks? THIS is THAT icing! I make a peanut butter version of it, too.
It’s just a good old timeless recipe. I hope you get to try it soon.
Ingredients for Chocolate Pound Cake Recipe with Fudge Glaze are:
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Three sticks butter
- Five Eggs
Now let’s get to baking…
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour your pan.
How to Grease a Cake Pan To Keep Batter From Sticking
What I do is fold a paper towel, put it over my hand and dip into the shortening, then smear it all around. Take a bit of flour and pour into the pan and move your pan around, patting it a bit, to get the flour to coat the sides. Then I turn it upside down and shake out the excess flour into the trash can.
- Cream butter and sugar with mixer until light and fluffy. Above is what “light and fluffy” looks like. 🙂
- In Separate bowl, stir together baking powder, flour, and cocoa powder.
- Add vanilla to milk.
- Alternately add milk and flour mixture to creamed butter, mixing after each addition.
- Add eggs, one at a time, while still running the mixer.
- Spoon chocolate pound cake batter into greased and floured pan and spread out a bit.
- Place this in the center of oven and bake for one hour and twenty minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit for ten minutes. Turn out onto cooling rack. Let cool completely while mixing up icing.
To make the CHOCOLATE FUDGE ICING you’ll need:
- Place milk, sugar, butter, shortening, and salt in a heavy sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Stir continuously while bringing to a boil.
- Once it reaches a rolling boil, stop stirring and allow to boil on its own for two minutes.
- Remove the chocolate fudge icing from heat.
- Add cocoa powder and vanilla.
- Stir until well blended.
- Now act quickly.
- Use a large spoon to spoon the icing over the cake or just pour directly from your saucepan. It will begin to set up rather quickly.
- Allow to sit until the icing hardens a bit.
- CHOCOLATE POUND CAKE:
- 1+1/2 cups butter
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 Cups sugar
- 1/2 Cup Cocoa
- 5 Eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 3 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cups Milk
- 1+1/2 Cup Sugar
- 7 Tablespons Whole Milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons Shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 Cup Cocoa
- Preheat oven to 325. Grease and flour bundt pan, set aside. Cream butter in large mixing bowl. Add sugar, beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In separate bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, and baking powder. Measure milk and stir vanilla into it. Add milk and dry ingredients alternately to batter in mixing bowl, mixing after each addition. Pour into pan and bake for one hour and twenty minutes. Let cool for ten minutes before removing from pan and allowing to cool completely before adding glaze.
- For glaze, Combine sugar, cocoa, milk, shortening, margarine, and salt in heavy saucepan. Bring to a rolling , stirring constantly. Once it reaches a rolling boil, allow to boil without stirring for two minutes. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Stirr until cooled just slightly. Spoon over cooled cake.
You might also enjoy these recipes: