Fourth of July Chocolate Dipped Pretzel Rods are a red, white, and blue chocolate-coated pretzel rod. A simple, but satisfying sweet and salty snack in one. Whether you are looking for a 4th of July dessert for your summer cookout, or a treat to surprise your kids with, this recipe is a hit.
Plus it takes no time to make, and just 3 ingredients! You can’t beat a simple dessert that has a big payout in flavor like this chocolate-dipped pretzels recipe.
- Pretzel Rods
- Candy Melts
How to Make
Full directions for this recipe are in the printable recipe card below. This is a quick walk through on how to make these pretzels.
Start by melting your chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Once the chocolate is fully melted, grab your supplies.
Dip the pretzel rods part way in the chocolate, and lift it out. Make sure to shake off some excess if you have a lot dripping from the pretzel stick.
Quickly add on some sprinkles, and then place the chocolate pretzel on parchment paper to set up.
Once your rods are set, you can serve up by placing in a jar, laying out on a tray, or any other way to serve up these snackable pretzels.
These patriotic pretzels can be stored in an airtight container or sealed bag on the counter at room temperature. If your home runs hot, place them in the fridge. Otherwise, you can find the chocolate will melt and create a mess.
The pretzels will store for around a week or so before they begin to go stale.
You can freeze any pretzels you don’t want to eat right away. Place in a proper freezer container and freeze for 2-3 months. Thaw on the counter and then enjoy!
Variations To Recipe
- Instead of candy melts you can use chocolate chips, but just add 1 teaspoon of shortening to the chocolate as you melt it. This will help the chocolate set up.
- Feel free to do white chocolate instead of milk or even semi-sweet chocolate.
- Reach for Pop Rocks to add a nice firework style crackle as your family or guests bite into these pretzels.
- Add on crushed candy or cookies, along with sprinkles if you want.
Here are some common questions about these Fourth of July Chocolate Dipped Pretzel Rods to help you when making them.
You can use any size of pretzels for this recipe. I loved the rods as they were large and great for serving up guests. But do small sticks, classics, or any other shape pretzel you want.
Reach for your favorite sugar free chocolate and then melt it down. Add in 1 teaspoon of shortening. This is going to help the chocolate to set up and harden the way a candy melt would. Then for the sprinkles use a sugar free version, or leave them off if needed.
Go right ahead and make up these covered pretzels a day or two in advance if you want. They will store well, and taste just as delicious as day one.
- 2 dozen pretzel rods
- 1 cup candy melts
- 1/2 cup 4th of July sprinkles
- Place your chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on 15 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until all the chocolate is melted.
- Use a spoon to cover ¾ of each pretzel rod with chocolate and then sprinkle on enough sprinkles to cover the chocolate in a thin layer.
- Place the pretzel rods on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and place in the freezer for 30 minutes, or until the chocolate has set.