Made with a creamy and crunchy combination of crushed Oreo cookies and cream cheese, these patriotic Oreo cream cheese balls are covered in different flavored chocolate melts for a deliciously sweet and bite-sized 4th of July treat.
Patriotic red, white, and blue Oreo cream cheese balls will brighten up any party with family and friends. These Oreo balls are one of my favorite recipes anytime but we had a lot of fun making these as a salute to our flag for the 4th. How cool is the above photo?
Fortunately, these Oreo balls (also known as Oreo truffles) are super quick and easy to make. The first step is to finely crush our cookies. Then we mix these Oreo cookie crumbs with the softened cream cheese to make our cookie dough. Shape the dough into balls, melt the different chocolate and candy flavors, then start dipping! Then you just have to patiently wait for them to set before you can enjoy these bite-sized 4th of July treats.
Trust me, the sweet flavor and creamy cookie crumb texture are SO addictive. I don’t know how people stop at one because I can’t! This Oreo cream cheese balls recipe is a great one to make with kids this summer too. Get them to shape the balls and dip each Oreo ball into the melted chocolate.
- Oreo cookies
- Red chocolate melts
- Blue chocolate melts
- Almond bark or white chocolate chips
- Softened cream cheese (click here for our homemade cream cheese recipe)
Helpful Kitchen Tools
How to Make Patriotic Oreo Cream Cheese Balls
Take one package of Oreo cookies and…
Crush up your Oreo cookies very fine (filling and all).
Sometimes I use a food processor for this step. If you don’t have one you will need to put your cookies in a sealable bag and hammer the heck out of them or use a rolling pin.
I know it doesn’t look like I crushed up the filling in here but I promise I did.
You will then add your softened cream cheese to the crushed Oreo cookie crumbs.
Mix up just like that.
Make them up into balls using a cookie scoop or tablespoon.
And place them on a cookie sheet.
Once you have the balls made, place your red chocolate melts, blue chocolate melts, and almond bark (or white chocolate chips) in separate microwave-safe bowls and microwave at 30-second intervals.
Stir each until melted and smooth. Take care not to let even the smallest drop of water get into your coating because it will cause it to seize up and won’t be good for much of anything.
Dip each Oreo cream cheese ball into the melted almond bark until it is totally coated.
I use a fork to dunk and then pull them out but toothpicks can work too.
Once you have them all dipped, let them completely set (I like to chill them in the fridge for another 30 minutes). If you are using them for a holiday like Memorial Day or the 4th of July, you can arrange them like the flag above or whatever your imagination tells you to do.
Be careful, they won’t last long. One batch will make about 60-70 balls.
You can store your Oreo truffles in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 weeks and in the freezer for up to 3 months. They make great gifts!
- Another option is to dip all of the Oreo balls into the almond bark and then decorate them with patriotic sprinkles and/or red and blue chocolate drizzle.
- Pop a lollipop stick in each Oreo ball and you instantly have a patriotic cake pop!
- Adapt this recipe to suit any occasion. Use different flavored chocolate melts, add different sprinkles for other holidays, or use different flavored Oreo cookies.
Check out these other patriotic treats:
- 1 package Oreos
- 1 package white almond bark or 24 ounces of white chocolate chips*
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- 12 ounces red chocolate melts
- 12 ounces blue chocolate melts
- white sprinkles
- Crush cookies very fine either by using a food processor or by placing them in a sealed bag and crushing them with a mallet or rolling pin. Using an electric mixer, add softened cream cheese to the crushed cookie crumbs and mix until well blended. Scoop out and form into one-inch balls and place on waxed paper until ready to dip.1 package Oreos, 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- Melt the almond bark, and red and blue chocolate melts by placing them in microwave-safe bowls and microwaving at 30-second intervals, stirring after each, until melted and smooth.1 package white almond bark or 24 ounces of white chocolate chips*, 12 ounces red chocolate melts, 12 ounces blue chocolate melts
- Dip each cookie ball into the melted chocolate or almond bark and place them back on the waxed paper in the shape of the flag. Sprinkle white sprinkles on the blue Oreo balls for the stars and create lines of Oreo balls alternating red lines and white lines for the stripes. Chill and serve.white sprinkles