- 2 large egg whites
- 1.5 cups packed dark or light brown sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed dark or light brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 2 large apples, any type, peeled and finely diced
- In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites with electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Stir in brown by hand until well combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, place softened butter and brown sugar. Beat with electric mixer until fluffy. Add eggs, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, and diced apple. Beat again until fully incorporated. Add flour and beat until combined, scraping down sides as needed, about one minute. Batter will be thick like homemade cookie dough.
- Spread cake batter into a greased 8x8 baking dish. Pat it down smooth and even on top.
- Spread meringue over all. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes, or until meringue is lightly browned and set on top.
“Do not wait for leaders; do it alone, person to person.”