I just finished a facebook LIVE video, visit my facebook page and scroll down to see it.
Hey sunshine people! That’s what I think about whenever I ruminate on orange flavored anything. Oranges = sunshine to me. Only it’s sunshine that you can eat and that’s almost as good as a beautiful sunny day.
For most of the people I know who grew up when I did, Creamsicle is a favorite flavor because it makes us think of those beloved popsicles, frozen creamy goodness on the inside and icy orange juicy coating on the outside. This dessert combines those flavors in a convenient little jar, perfect for rationing out to your kids and their friends through the week or for tossing in the cooler and transporting to a family reunion or barbecue on the weekend.
They’re done quick as a wink, but I’ve done winked so many times since beginning to write this post that I’ve lost count! Better head on into the kitchen now…
To make these, you’ll need: Orange Supreme Cake Mix* Large container of whipped topping**, Orange Gelatin, Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix, and about 15 – 8 oz jars.
*If you want to use regular cake mix or a homemade cake recipe, make the cupcakes and then brush the tops with thawed orange juice concentrate.
**Yes, we know this has hydrogenated oils and a plethora of other ingredients. We all have the internet, too.
Mix up your cupcakes according to package ingredients. Line a muffin pan with papers and divide batter evenly among 24-30 cupcake papers. Note: I am using a coffee scoop to put exactly 2 tablespoons of batter in each one so I ended up with 30 – and my cupcakes are a nice, even, uniform size.
Bake them according to package (or recipe) directions and then allow to cool completely before removing cupcake papers.
- In large mixing bowl, place 1/2 cup boiling water and gelatin powder. Stir until gelatin is dissolved, then add 1 cup ice and stir until that is melted.
- Add in 2 cups milk and pudding mix.
- Beat the mess out of this with an electric mixer – unless you are having a particularly frustrating day, in that case, just use your arm power and work some of that irritation out.
- Dump in all of the whipped topping. Beat until fully incorporated and it looks like pudding.
Now add a layer of the whipped icing. I put all of mine in a zipper seal bag and cut the tip off because I find that squeezing it in there is quicker, easier, and less messy. However you choose to do it, just put about an inch thick or so layer in each one on top of that first cupcake. Add one more cupcake on top of that. Notice that the cupcake is easier to get in the jar if you pinch it a little bit as you put it in, then it springs right back into shape.
Top with another layer of whipped icing and you’re done! Put the lids on all of these jars and place in the refrigerator for at least an hour for best results.
- 1 Box Orange Supreme Cake Mix with ingredients to prepare according to pkg
- 16 oz whipped topping
- small box orange gelatin 4 serving size
- small box instant vanilla pudding mix 4 serving size
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 2 cups milk
- 30 cupcake papers
- 15- 8 ounce jars.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Line cupcake tins with papers and divide batter evenly among them. Note: I used a coffee scoop to put exactly two tablespoons of batter in each cupcake paper and ended up with 30 cupcakes.
- Bake cupcakes according to pkg directions. Once done, allow to cool and remove cupcake papers.
To prepare icing
- In large mixing bowl, place 1/2 cup boiling water and gelatin mix. Stir with a spoon until gelatin is dissolved. Add 1 cup ice cubes and stir until ice is dissolved. Immediately add 2 cups milk and pudding mix. Beat this all with an electric mixer until fully blended. Add whipped topping and beat until fully incorporated.
- Assemble jar cakes by placing one cupcake in the bottom of each jar and topping with 3/4-1 inch of topping, then repeating one more time.
- Place lids on jars and store in the refrigerator.
For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?
You might also enjoy this recipe! Pineapple Poke CakeYum