This good & easy apple crumble cake recipe will bring your tastebuds back to days in grandma’s kitchen. Filled with apples and topped with a delicious pecan crumble, I like to serve it warm with homemade whipped cream gently melting on top.
I first had this apple crumble cake when I was eight years old. I really enjoy it because it isn’t too sweet. I’m not a big icing person, but give me fresh whipped cream oozing down over warm cake and you got a happy camper on your hands!
Fortunately, this coffee cake recipe is super easy to make. If you’re new around here, let me in on a little secret… I love using box cake mix in so many of my favorite cake recipes. It’s quick, easy, and always results in a perfectly soft and moist cake, so what’s not to love?
Today we’re using a white cake mix and adding some scrumptious apple pie filling and chopped nuts for added flavor and texture. The filling absorbs into the cake so it’s deliciously moist! But as the name suggests, this apple crumble cake recipe isn’t complete without its crumble topping. This buttery, nutty, and cinnamon-spiced topping is the cherry on top, let me tell you!
Every bite will have you dreaming of crisp fall days. Alright, who’s ready to bake an easy apple crumb cake? I know I am!
- Box of white cake mix
- Chopped pecans
- Can of apple pie filling
- Plain flour
- White sugar
- Unsalted butter or margarine
- Ground cinnamon
- Chopped pecans
How to Make Apple Crumble Cake
Pour the apple pie filling onto a plate or into a bowl, then get a knife and kind of coarsely chop it up a bit.
The original recipe said to “beat the apple pie filling” to break it up a bit. But I guess apple pie filling must be sturdier these days than it used to be because the one time I tried to beat it, nothing happened except the whole apple slices sloshed around in my mixing bowl for a minute or so.
Now, place all ingredients for the cake into a mixing bowl. Using a large spoon or spatula, stir this up until well combined. Set aside.
Prepare the crumb topping by placing flour, sugar, pecans, ground cinnamon, and softened butter into a small bowl.
Cut butter in with a fork and stir the entire mixture until crumbly.
Spread the cake batter into a greased 9×13 baking dish and sprinkle evenly with the crumb topping.
Bake the apple crumb cake at 350 for 50 to 55 minutes.
I love to serve this warm with homemade whipped cream on top!
I’ve included an easy homemade recipe below, but check out this post to learn how easy it is to make whipped cream at home with evaporated milk.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can easily reheat it quickly in the microwave.
- You can also store leftovers in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature before serving.
- Use whatever cake mix brand you prefer. I know they’ve changed sizes slightly but this recipe still works fine. Unfortunately, after a lifetime of devotion, I no longer recommend Duncan Hines due to several test kitchen failures with their current formulation.
- This apple crumb coffee cake also tastes amazing served with custard or vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce. Try my pecan praline sauce (YUM).
- For the crumble topping, you can use just granulated sugar, just brown sugar, or a combination of both.
- For extra sweetness, top your apple cake with a simple vanilla glaze (visit this post for a recipe).
- If you like, you can totally substitute the pecans for walnuts. We all know they’re so much more budget-friendly.
Can I substitute the apple for something else in this apple cake recipe?
You totally can! Adapt this apple cake recipe to suit you. An easy substitution is to swap the apple pie filling for a different pie filling, like cherry.
You may also like these other appetizing apple desserts:
- 1 box white cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 can apple pie filling 21 ounces
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter at room temp
Homemade Whipped Cream
- 1 - 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2-4 tablespoons sugar
- Pour the apple pie filling onto a large plate and coarsely chop it up a bit with a knife. Place it in a mixing bowl along with all the other cake ingredients. Stir until well combined with a large spoon. Pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish.1 box white cake mix, 3 eggs, 1 can apple pie filling, 1 cup chopped nuts
- Prepare topping by mixing all the ingredients together with a fork. Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the cake batter. Bake cake at 350 for 50-55 minutes. Serve warm with homemade whipped cream.1/2 cup plain flour, 1/2 cup white sugar, 1 cup chopped pecans, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 cup butter
To make whipped cream
- Place the heavy whipping cream in a chilled mixing bowl and add sugar to taste. I suggest starting with two tablespoons because you can always add more later.2-4 tablespoons sugar, 1 - 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Mix on high for about one minute, until soft peaks and ripples form. Serve over warm cake (don't forget to lick the bowl!).