Grandmama’s fruit salad is my absolute favorite thing in the entire world to eat. I adore it. I love it. As my son said once “This is so good, if it were a girl, I’d marry it!”. Grandmama’s Holiday Fruit Salad is so incredibly good.
My grandmother always made it for us at Thanksgiving and Christmas and now that she has gone on to celebrate Thanksgiving with Jesus, this fruit salad holds even more precious memories. No other desserts exist for me when this fruit salad is present. You can tempt me with creme brûlée, tiramisu, carrot cake, even Grandmama’s chocolate pie, but Grandmama’s Holiday Fruit Salad is the beginning and end as far as I am concerned.
In case you haven’t caught on yet, I REALLY REALLY love THIS fruit salad!
LETS MAKE SOME!!!!
~eyes widen and mouth begins to water~
To make Grandmama’s Holiday Fruit Salad you will need: Apples, Oranges, Seedless Grapes, 3-4 cans fruit cocktail (with juice), 1 Cup sugar, and 6 egg yolks (the yellow part).
Peel and chop apples. Place in bowl.
Peel and cut up oranges. Cut oranges up over apples and stir so that the orange juice prevents them from browning.
Cut grapes into halves. Place in bowl.
Pour all of the fruit cocktail into bowl, juice and all.
Drain juice from bowl of fruit into a sauce pot.
(you CAN use Splenda in place of sugar here!)
Separate eggs. You can discard the whites or find another use for them
(ideas in notes on the recipe card at the bottom of this post)
Beat egg yolks well.
Add to sauce pot. Stir well.
Cook approximately 15 minutes over medium heat stirring occasionally until slightly thickened.
Pour over fruit. Stir, Cover, and refrigerate.
Will keep in the refrigerator for a week.
Make at least 24 hours ahead so that flavors can marry – or they can just date for a bit, they”ll likely get along better if they haven’t signed on for a commitment after such a short time anyway.
If you had any idea how wonderful this tastes you’d be dying right now!
Grandmama and Mama always store theirs in glass jars in the fridge, kind of like this one.
- 6-8 Apples
- 6 Oranges
- 1 lb Seedless Grapes
- 3-4 15 Ounce Cans Fruit Cocktail You can use generic, it is every bit as good!
- 1 Cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks*
- Peel fruit and chop into small pieces. Cut oranges over apples so that the juice from the oranges will stop the apples from turning dark. Pour fruit cocktail over fruit. Drain juice from fruit into saucepan.
- Add 1 cup sugar and 6 egg yolks. Blend well.
- Cook approximately 15 minutes over medium heat stirring occasionally until slightly thickened. Cool. Pour over fruit.
- Stir, Cover, and refrigerate. Will keep in frig for a week. Make at least 24 hours ahead so that flavors can marry. Optional: Coconut and pecans. Bananas can be added but they turn dark quick and the fruit salad will not last as long in refrigerator.