If waffles and onion rings had a baby, it would be this deliciously easy keto chaffle recipe. Crunchy, sweet, and cheesy, what’s not to love?
What is a chaffle?
So, you may be wondering what a chaffle is? It’s an egg and cheese waffle that’s typically made in a mini waffle maker or waffle iron. Seasoned with garlic powder and salt, they make a great appetizer or snack. Chaffles are also very versatile and come in lots of variations, whether you want Mexican, Greek, or BBQ flavor. They’re a great alternative to frittatas or omelets, which use the same ingredients.
For this keto chaffles recipe though, I take it to the next level and include an onion ring in the middle of the mixture. So when you bite into the crunchy exterior, you get a sweet burst of onion alongside the usual fluffy and cheesy goodness. These keto chaffles are best served with your favorite dipping sauce.
Did I mention this basic chaffle recipe is also quick, easy, low-carb, and keto-friendly? Let’s get cooking, shall we?
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of shredded cheese (I used mozzarella cheese)
- A teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of seasoned salt
- 1 onion (sliced into rings)
- Your favorite dipping sauce. I love our comeback sauce with this.
Start mixing your egg, shredded cheese, garlic powder, and seasoned salt. Make sure everything is well combined.
Heat up that mini waffle maker, this helps make it nice and crispy.
Place a big ole spoonful of your chaffle batter in the middle of the waffle maker.
Place an onion ring on top of your cheese mixture.
Then place another big spoonful of your chaffle mixture over your onion.
Close your mini waffle maker and cook for about 4 minutes, until browned.
Remove and serve your onion and cheese chaffle warm with dipping sauce.
- Store leftover chaffles in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. To reheat, pop them briefly in the air fryer, toaster oven, or normal oven.
- You can also freeze chaffles in an airtight container for up to three months. Once thawed, follow the above reheating instructions.
- Want to make your own smoky dipping sauce to complement this keto chaffle recipe? Combine two tablespoons of mayonnaise with 2 teaspoons of sugar-free ketchup and add in a dash of smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, and tabasco sauce.
- There’s no need to pre-cook your onion slices, as long as they’re less than a 1/4-inch thick.
- I recommend using shredded cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, or a cheddar cheese blend.
- If you’d like to use these chaffles as a substitute for keto bread, add two teaspoons of almond flour to the mixture to create a fluffier bread-like texture.
- To make this into an extra crispy keto chaffle recipe, put the cooked chaffles in the air fryer or toaster oven briefly to crisp up further.
- Another option to make them crispier is to sprinkle some cheese on the waffle maker before and after you pour the batter. Being on the heat longer, it will in turn make the chaffle crispier.
- Follow the above chaffle recipe and add in these ingredients for a different savory chaffle flavor. For Mexican, add in a dash of cumin and cayenne. To give your chaffles a BBQ flavor, add in a teaspoon of BBQ sauce. Or you could add diced jalapeno to make an alternative jalapeno popper. Another option is to top your with pepperoni and more and place it in the toaster oven to create a .
- You can also make this into a and serve your dessert chaffle with butter and a drizzle of sugar-free syrup.
- If you think your chaffles taste too eggy, opt to use egg whites instead.
Can I double this keto chaffle recipe?
Absolutely! This keto chaffle recipe currently only makes two to three chaffles, so double or triple the recipe to make more and store them following the instructions above.
How do you eat chaffles?
You can simply fold your chaffle in half and dip it into your favorite sauce. Alternatively, use two chaffles instead of bread to make a delicious breakfast sandwich. Fill the inside of your chaffle sandwich with ingredients like bacon, sausage, and/or spinach.
Here are more of my favorite keto and low carb recipes:
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cheese shredded, (I used mozzarella)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp seasoned salt or less if desired.
- 1 onion , sliced into rings
- your favorite dipping sauce I use Southern Plate comeback sauce
- Start mixing your egg, cheese, garlic powder, and seasoned salt. Make sure everything is well combined.1 egg, 1 cup cheese, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp seasoned salt
- Heat up your mini waffle maker first, then place a big spoonful of your chaffle mixture in the middle of the waffle maker.
- Place an onion ring on top of your cheese mixture and then place another big ole spoonful of your cheese/chaffle mixture over your onion.1 onion
- Close your mini waffle maker and cook for about 3-4 minutes, until browned. Remove and serve warm with dipping sauce. Enjoy!your favorite dipping sauce