This keto sausage balls recipe is a low-carb version of traditional sausage balls. Each tender bite includes breakfast sausage paired with sharp cheddar cheese and almond meal.
I am always searching for great low-carb recipes and this keto recipe for low-carb sausage balls is one that we have been enjoying for several months. It is a tweaked version of . My husband likes for me to make a double recipe of them on the weekends and we keep them in the fridge to heat up as quick breakfasts throughout the week.
You only need 6 ingredients to make keto sausage balls: sharp cheddar cheese, egg, baking powder, almond meal, salt, and breakfast sausage. Yep, the combo of baking powder and almond flour/meal replaces the usual Bisquick baking mix. But trust me, they taste just as good and no one will be able to tell the difference (I sure can’t).
The instructions couldn’t be easier. Simply mix all of the ingredients together using an electric mixer, shape the mixture into balls, and place them on a baking sheet. 20 minutes in the oven and they’re ready to serve. From start to finish, this easy keto sausage ball recipe takes about 30 minutes. That’s my kind of recipe!
Please check the nutritional information yourself for accuracy, but according to my calculations, each sausage ball has about 1 carb, so they tick the low-carb and keto box.
Now, if you really want to take them over the top, add a little dollop of sugar-free pancake syrup. The perfect keto breakfast and meal prep option, I tell ya! But whether you enjoy them as a grab-and-go breakfast, appetizer, snack, or lunch, I hope you make this soon. As you can see, they’re very versatile.
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Baking powder
- Almond meal
- Breakfast sausage
How to Make Keto Sausage Balls
Making your keto sausage balls is as simple as putting all of the ingredients in a medium bowl and mixing them together with an electric mixer.
I use a small cookie dough scoop to put them out onto lightly greased baking sheets, but you can also use a spoon if you like.
Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Allow them to cool and then place leftover sausage balls in zipper seal bags or an airtight container and store them in the fridge for 4 or 5 days. Reheat in the microwave, oven, or air fryer until heated through.
- These also freeze really well. Store them in the freezer for up to 3 months and thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating as above.
- We used to use Jimmy Dean pork sausage, but these days we typically use Jennie-O turkey sausage. Basically, any type of sausage will work. You can even use spicy sausage or Italian sausage, which work so well with sharp cheddar cheese.
- Speaking of, use whichever shredded cheese you like, such as regular cheddar or pepper jack cheese.
- As you can see in the ingredients photo above, almond flour and almond meal are the same things and you can use either in this recipe. I easily found this at my local Walmart. I’ve also heard that coconut flour works well too and is also keto-friendly.
- Want to try ? All you need to do is add 4 ounces of cream cheese to the sausage mixture (yep, cream cheese is keto-friendly). Keep everything else the same.
- For a more savory flavor, add 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning.
Is sausage okay for a keto diet?
Sausage is a keto-friendly food.
Can I make keto sausage balls in advance?
Absolutely! Firstly, you can cook the sausage balls and store them in an airtight container in the fridge a few days ahead of time. Then you can reheat them in the oven or air fryer until warm. Alternatively, you can store the uncooked but shaped balls in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days before baking on the day.
How do you serve keto sausage balls?
There are multiple ways to serve sausage balls. You can serve them as is for the perfect or with sugar-free pancake syrup or maple syrup for breakfast. Alternatively, serve them as a party or game-day keto appetizer with your favorite dipping sauce, like honey mustard, chipotle ranch dressing, or homemade BBQ sauce. Yum!
Can I make sausage balls in the air fryer?
Yes, air fryer sausage balls are so easy to make. Instead of placing the balls on a baking sheet, place them in a single layer in your air fryer basket (you might need to make them in batches, depending on the size of your air fryer). Bake them at 400 for about 8 minutes, turning halfway through.
Are these keto sausage balls gluten-free?
Double-check that your sausage has no hidden gluten, but otherwise yes, this is a gluten-free sausage ball recipe as well.
You may also like these sensational sausage recipes:
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 1 egg
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl, place all ingredients. Mix with an electric mixer until well combined.1 pound breakfast sausage, 1 egg, 1 cup almond meal, 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Use a cookie dough scoop or two spoons and spoon out the balls onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Refrigerate leftovers. Reheat very well in the microwave or oven.
“If you don’t know where you are going, any road will get you there.”