While I recover from my adventures in the Dominican Republic (which means catch up on laundry and take care of a flu riddled family), I thought I’d bring you a quick and easy idea to decorate my pumpkin muffins (which require only three ingredients to make!) for a party or Christmas get together….
Or just to impress your kids.
Because it is important to impress our kids whenever possible so that they will eventually realize how incredibly cool and awesome their parents are. I don’t know about you but this hasn’t happened for me just yet. I’m thinking it kicks in around the age of thirty or so.
These are simple, 3 ingredient pumpkin muffins (and one of those ingredients is water!), topped with a homemade cream cheese icing, sprinkled with cake crumbs (I’m about to show you how to make those), and then finished off with a store bought Gingerbread cookie.
To get the recipe for the pumpkin muffins, click here.
Now, lets make us some cake crumbs!
Take one muffin and crumble it up onto a baking sheet.
Place that in the oven at 350 for about ten minutes, or until lightly toasted.
There are countless ways to crush them but this is how I do it. This is supposed to be part of a salad server set but I just use it to beat things with.
Another fun thing to do is take these crumbs and double seal them in a bag and run over them with the car. Completely unnecessary when a simple rolling pin will do the job but there are days when it just feels good 🙂
Mix up your cream cheese icing (recipe below) and place it into a gallon zipper seal bag.
Cut the corner off and pipe a big dollop into the center of each muffin. I used a large icing tip to get it to look like this but they’re every bit as pretty if you just pipe it straight from the bag.
Sprinkle each one with a pinch of cake crumbs and then stick a little Gingerbread cookie in the center!
Look at all of my happy little cupcakes!
This is them doing a conga line!
Okay, time for me to stop playing with my food. Anywho, this is a quick and easy idea for a fun cupcake during the holidays. Because I’ve never once woke up during the Christmas season and said “Man, I really hope I can come across more ways to make my life more complicated and hectic today!”
Cream Cheese Icing and Gingerbread Topped Cupcakes
- 8 ounce package cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, at room temperature
- 1 pound confectioner's sugar add 1/2 cup more if icing is too thin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice optional
- In large mixing bowl, Cream together cream cheese and butter. Add sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla and beat with electric mixer until smooth and creamy, scraping down sides as needed. Ice cooled cupcakes by placing icing mixture into a gallon zipper seal bag, cutting the corner off, and squirting a dollop on the top of each. Sprinkle with muffin crumbs to decorate and press a store bought gingerbread cookie down into the center.