Breakfast will never be the same once you try my easy monkey bread muffins recipe. Soft and fluffy buttermilk biscuit pieces are tossed in cinnamon sugar, topped with a buttery brown sugar mixture, and drizzled with cream cheese frosting.
Hey friends! I’m popping in today to share a quick and easy monkey bread muffins recipe with you. This is an updated version of my classic monkey bread recipe in an easy-to-grab muffin form and pretty enough for company.
This monkey bread in muffin tins recipe takes advantage of multiple shortcuts, too. So it’s perfect for a busy morning when you’ve got places to go and people to see but you still want to make something warm, special, and yummy.
What can you expect from these monkey bread muffins? Fluffy buttermilk flaky biscuits covered in a deliciously buttery brown sugar mixture and topped with cream cheese frosting. They’re sweet, soft, and so scrumptious! Fortunately, they’re also super easy to make. Simply break the biscuits into pieces, toss them in cinnamon sugar, melt the butter and brown sugar together, and pour this over each muffin. Then you just need to patiently wait for them to bake and once cool, top with cream cheese frosting.
Okay, all this talk has made me so hungry, so let’s get baking!
- Buttermilk flaky biscuits (like Grands or Pillsbury)
- Unsalted butter
- Light brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Cream cheese frosting
How to Make Monkey Bread Muffins
Cut each canned biscuit into 8 equal parts. Then, stir together the white sugar and cinnamon. Dip each biscuit piece in the cinnamon-sugar mixture and stir to coat.
Line a muffin tin with 10 muffin papers or grease liberally with . Place 8 biscuit pieces into each muffin cup.
Combine butter, brown sugar, and water in a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Stir constantly until just melted and well blended.
Remove from heat and add vanilla extract.
Pour a heaping tablespoon of this over each muffin cup.
Bake at 375 for 12-14 minutes.
Allow the muffins to cool slightly.
Remove the lid from the cream cheese frosting and heat it in the microwave for about 30 seconds, until just softened and barely runny. Drizzle a little icing over each muffin after they have cooled a bit.
I love these monkey bread muffins warm!
Store leftovers in an airtight container on the counter for up to 3 days. You can also freeze them for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature before serving.
- To make mini monkey bread muffins, cut each biscuit into 12 small pieces instead and then place them in mini muffin cups. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes until golden brown.
- For extra flavor, add extra spices to the cinnamon-sugar mixture, like a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice, apple pie spice, or nutmeg.
- To make gluten-free muffins, use gluten-free biscuit dough.
- Instead of cream cheese frosting, top your muffins with a simple vanilla glaze. Combine 1/2 cup of confectioner’s sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and 2 to 3 tablespoons of milk (until it reaches desired consistency) and drizzle this on top.
- It’s also super easy to double this recipe. Just use two muffin tins instead of one.
Check out these other marvelous muffin recipes:
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 can Grands buttermilk flaky biscuits
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup store-bought cream cheese frosting
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin pan with non-stick spray or 8 cupcake liners.
- In a small bowl, combine the granulated sugar and cinnamon. Separate the biscuits and cut each one into 8 equal pieces. Toss the pieces into the cinnamon-sugar mixture and place 8 of them into each muffin well or cupcake liner.1/4 cup white sugar, 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 can Grands buttermilk flaky biscuits
- Place a small saucepan on the stove and melt the butter, then add the brown sugar and water. Mix until everything is all melted and combined. Stir in the vanilla extract.1/4 cup unsalted butter, 2/3 cup light brown sugar, 2 teaspoons water, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pour a heaping tablespoon of the brown sugar and butter mixture over each of the muffins.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until golden brown. Allow the muffins to cool for about 10-15 minutes before removing them from the pan.
- Microwave the cream cheese frosting for 10 seconds until it’s thinned out. Using a fork, drizzle the frosting all over your muffins. Serve warm or cooled. Store on the counter in a tightly covered container.1/4 cup store-bought cream cheese frosting
The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today.
H. Jackson Brown, JR
Special thanks to my friend, Amanda over at Mommity, for sharing this recipe with me and allowing me to share it with you!