Today, I’m thrilled to share a recipe with you that was shared in an issue from Southern Cast Iron Magazine.
Enjoy this delicious Carrot Cake recipe as a little sampling of the goodness in store!
- Crushed pineapple and coconut give this cake a delicious tropical twist.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 ⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 +1⁄2 cups finely grated carrot
- 1 4-ounce can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 ⁄4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 ⁄4 cup pecans chopped
Cream Cheese Frosting recipe follows
Garnish: chopped pecans
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 ⁄4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 +1⁄2 cupsconfectioners’sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, and eggs. Add sugar mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Fold in carrot, pineapple, coconut, and pecans. Spread batter in prepared skillet.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool completely.
To make Cream Cheese Frosting: In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until smooth.
- Frost cake. Garnish with chopped pecans, if desired.