I love tacos in any form, but have always had a fondness for Taco casserole ever since I first remember Mama making it as a child (see her recipe here). This recipe is a more convenient (and a little simpler) spin on Mama’s, involving tater tots as the foundation layer. My husband, Ricky, who used to swear he didn’t like casseroles, can’t get enough of this one. I bet you’ll have plenty of takers in your house, too!
- Frozen Tater Tots small bag, you won't need them all
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 packets 1 ounce each of Taco Seasoning Mix*
- 1.5 cups water
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese I use sharp
- Taco toppings of your choice
- Place a layer of frozen tater tots in the bottom of an 8x8 casserole dish. Set aside.
- In large skillet, brown beef until no longer pink. Add water, taco seasoning mix, and barbecue sauce. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until thickened. It will be very saucey and that is fine.
- Spoon taco beef mixture over tater tots. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese. Cover with foil and bake at 400 for about thirty minutes. Top with your favorite taco toppings and enjoy!
If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude.