Click here to follow me on Instagram 🙂
Even if I’m not leaving the house at all makeup is done by 6:00 am at the latest most days. It’s a Southern thang. 🙂 When I was a girl my Mama told me “Every day when you wake up you do your hair and your makeup and you’ll just feel better.”
Over the years I’ve had a lot of questions about what makeup I wear, what lipstick shade, etc. So I thought I’d put together a handy dandy list and show y’all. I originally posted this on my Instagram but have had a lot of emails from people asking me to post it here so that they can find it easier, so here goes!
1.L’Oreal Base – I wear a few different types of L’Oreal base depending on my mood. I like this one especially because it doesn’t have sunscreen in it, which I prefer not to use (I use common sense instead). I always get the lightest shade and that works perfectly as long as I stick with a L’Oreal base. Back when I was younger and working as a bank teller, I fell in love with a base from L’ancome that was around $50 a bottle. The way it made my skin looked had me shelling out the big bucks for that base and then running to the drug store for everything else. When I found out they were owned by L’Oreal I decided to try L’Oreal bases and, upon seeing the exact same results for about $10 a bottle, have never looked back.
- Master Conceal by Maybelline – Maybelline is owned by L’Oreal so I’m good sticking with the lightest shade here as well. I us this as my general all around concealer. Next to it is a pot of L’Oreal true match mineral powder foundation, I use the little brush with this for heavy duty concealing jobs, usually just an additional light pat under my eyes. I don’t use it for base but that was it’s original intent. As a concealer, it is the best I’ve found.
- True Match Mineral Foundation – I don’t use this for foundation but with that nice brush you see next to it, it makes one of the greatest concealers of all time. After I am done with my makeup and have finished with powder, I go back and use that brush and this mineral foundation for any spots that need a little extra help – usually under my eyes. I especially love this because it blends seamlessly on top of your makeup so if you need a little touchup throughout the day before going out, you don’t have to worry about it gunking up or removing your powder first, which usually leads to a need for a complete redo. Just a few pats with a brush and this powder and you’re good as new.
- Madeline eye shadow – This is the palette I’m using this week. I change them up a bit.
- Almay liquid eyeliner: I can only use Almay brand eyeliner due to skin sensitivities. My eyes have gotten very particular in my old age. I prefer liquid so that there is less tugging on my eyes. My eyes prefer it, too. 🙂
- Brow Fix – If you’ll look top center you’ll also see my Brow Fix. I buy this at CVS. Powder eyebrow liner is a game changer. I love this stuff. Once I get it I immediately lose the little pair of tweezers and other brush of some sort because all I use is that wonderful stiff slanted brush to put it on. This keeps me from looking like I’m an alien. Eyebrows frame your face, hang onto them as long as you can. 🙂
4.Eyelash curler and Mascara – always, always, always. This makes a HUGE difference, really opens up your eyes and makes them appear bigger and more alert than you actually are :). L’Oreal Voluminous Superstar mascara – this is the greatest mascara in the history of mankind. I even gave it as Christmas gifts last year. Note: Don’t get waterproof if you want to keep your eyelashes. Ever. The only reason to wear waterproof mascara is if you are getting married or competing as an Olympic diver on national television. I’ve already done one of those and the other isn’t very likely since I haven’t been in a pool in sixteen years. Note: I realize some people have medical issues with constantly teary eyes, my previous comments are not addressed to them. 🙂
5.Blush – don’t let this fancy couture thing fool ya, I’m only using this for the blush. Once I use that up I’ll throw it away. *I doth not contour.* I’m not picky about blush. Any medium rose shade and most brand will do.
6.Finishing Powder – this is a Wet and Wild finishing powder, the lightest shade, and a brush. I got this on clearance for a dollar so I have a few of them.
7.L’oreal lipstick in Saucy Mauve – always.
There ya go! This is how I “put my face on” every day. No matter what makeup you do or don’t wear, put on your best attitude and your day will just go better 😉
Forgot to say I came across your you tube “what’s in my bag” and that was so fun too! I’m sure we would all love to see another one soon too! Thanks for all you do, I have been following you for a long time and I’m a big fan.
Thank you so much Amy!!!
Great post! I am fascinated by make up, even though I can only manage a little bit of eyeliner and mascara myself. I’ve never been one to wear make up, but I always feel like I should make a better effort. :/ And yes to the inexpensive drugstore stuff. My very favorite mascara comes from Ulta and is $5 per tube.
Also, I totally agree about putting on make up every morning without fail. I decided years ago that I was never again going to dash out to the store or the gym without my eyes on because there really was no excuse. It’s embarrassing to run into someone you know looking like you just crawled out of your coffin for the day. That is one line I have drawn in the sand and will never cross. Thanks!
Thank you Erin!! I won’t cross that line either 🙂
Deja vu! My Lancôme addiction ends today! Never realized they were sister companies! I recently started using L’Oreal serums and that thick gold neck cream of theirs. Now I know why I like them so much. Stopping at ULTA after work tonight for some of that mascara! Gonna save money and spend more on fun things! I’m impressed that you put make up on everyday! No wonder you always look so great in your pictures! INSPIRATIONAL!
Looking forward to your skin care post. BTW – you look great – are still doing that KETO diet?
Thank you Deanna!! Yes, when I found out they are sister companies I was so excited!! You are going to be amazed at how much money you will save!!
I’m not doing Keto right now but hoping to get back. I recently gave up Pork so I’ve got to get more creative in my Keto game 🙂
Hi Christy, thank you so much for the makeup tips, you always look so beautiful! I appreciate the eyebrow fix tip, most of mine seem to have disappeared into the unknown now that I have gotten much older! Do you mind sharing what kind of eyelash curler you use? I always having trouble finding one that opens up enough, doesn’t pinch my eyelids, etc. Getting old is hard sometimes!
Thanks again, and have a very blessed day!
Thanks so much for sharing! I, too, used to use all Lancome when I was working. When I discovered they made L’Oreal and Maybelline, all those $$$ stopped! 🙂 I love drug store products and, due to the lower cost, one can have a larger variety. At least that’s the reasoning for me!
Amen!!! I’ve become a big L’Oreal fan, I guess you can see that though 😉
Thank you for sharing. Would you share your skin care routine as well? I need a change!
Ooh that’s a neat idea! I have two different skincare routines. One is for when I have patience and want to go all out and wake up with baby skin, the next is for the days where I’m laying in bed reading and get tired and want to go to sleep so just do something quick. I always take my makeup off before bed and apply a face cream though. I’ve never slept in makeup. I’ll work on a post with each skincare routine. That was a great idea and I sure appreciate it! Stay tuned!
Thank you! I so enjoy your posts! I live in Mississippi and the humidity has arrived full force! I, like you, always have my face on and my hair “fixed” before walking out the door! I agree that it’s a Southern thing! Look forward to your skincare post. Have a blessed day!
I hope you have a blessed day as well Brenda!!!
Looking forward to the skin care post!
Thank you Mary!!
This is so fun thanks! What do you carry with you in your handbag from this collection?
I usually just keep a tube of Saucy Mauve lipstick and some powder in my purse. If I’m going to be gone all day and outside working or something I might add a little more should I have somewhere to be that night, usually mascara and maybe a little extra eyeliner. Lipstick becomes blush in a pinch :).
It was great hearing from you today!
Thanks so much!