Click here to follow me on Instagram 🙂
Even if I’m not leaving the house at all makeup is done by 6:00 am at the latest most days. It’s a Southern thang. 🙂 When I was a girl my Mama told me “Every day when you wake up you do your hair and your makeup and you’ll just feel better.”
Over the years I’ve had a lot of questions about what makeup I wear, what lipstick shade, etc. So I thought I’d put together a handy dandy list and show y’all. I originally posted this on my Instagram but have had a lot of emails from people asking me to post it here so that they can find it easier, so here goes!
1.L’Oreal Base – I wear a few different types of L’Oreal base depending on my mood. I like this one especially because it doesn’t have sunscreen in it, which I prefer not to use (I use common sense instead). I always get the lightest shade and that works perfectly as long as I stick with a L’Oreal base. Back when I was younger and working as a bank teller, I fell in love with a base from L’ancome that was around $50 a bottle. The way it made my skin looked had me shelling out the big bucks for that base and then running to the drug store for everything else. When I found out they were owned by L’Oreal I decided to try L’Oreal bases and, upon seeing the exact same results for about $10 a bottle, have never looked back.
- Master Conceal by Maybelline – Maybelline is owned by L’Oreal so I’m good sticking with the lightest shade here as well. I us this as my general all around concealer. Next to it is a pot of L’Oreal true match mineral powder foundation, I use the little brush with this for heavy duty concealing jobs, usually just an additional light pat under my eyes. I don’t use it for base but that was it’s original intent. As a concealer, it is the best I’ve found.
- True Match Mineral Foundation – I don’t use this for foundation but with that nice brush you see next to it, it makes one of the greatest concealers of all time. After I am done with my makeup and have finished with powder, I go back and use that brush and this mineral foundation for any spots that need a little extra help – usually under my eyes. I especially love this because it blends seamlessly on top of your makeup so if you need a little touchup throughout the day before going out, you don’t have to worry about it gunking up or removing your powder first, which usually leads to a need for a complete redo. Just a few pats with a brush and this powder and you’re good as new.
- Madeline eye shadow – This is the palette I’m using this week. I change them up a bit.
- Almay liquid eyeliner: I can only use Almay brand eyeliner due to skin sensitivities. My eyes have gotten very particular in my old age. I prefer liquid so that there is less tugging on my eyes. My eyes prefer it, too. 🙂
- Brow Fix – If you’ll look top center you’ll also see my Brow Fix. I buy this at CVS. Powder eyebrow liner is a game changer. I love this stuff. Once I get it I immediately lose the little pair of tweezers and other brush of some sort because all I use is that wonderful stiff slanted brush to put it on. This keeps me from looking like I’m an alien. Eyebrows frame your face, hang onto them as long as you can. 🙂
4.Eyelash curler and Mascara – always, always, always. This makes a HUGE difference, really opens up your eyes and makes them appear bigger and more alert than you actually are :). L’Oreal Voluminous Superstar mascara – this is the greatest mascara in the history of mankind. I even gave it as Christmas gifts last year. Note: Don’t get waterproof if you want to keep your eyelashes. Ever. The only reason to wear waterproof mascara is if you are getting married or competing as an Olympic diver on national television. I’ve already done one of those and the other isn’t very likely since I haven’t been in a pool in sixteen years. Note: I realize some people have medical issues with constantly teary eyes, my previous comments are not addressed to them. 🙂
5.Blush – don’t let this fancy couture thing fool ya, I’m only using this for the blush. Once I use that up I’ll throw it away. *I doth not contour.* I’m not picky about blush. Any medium rose shade and most brand will do.
6.Finishing Powder – this is a Wet and Wild finishing powder, the lightest shade, and a brush. I got this on clearance for a dollar so I have a few of them.
7.L’oreal lipstick in Saucy Mauve – always.
There ya go! This is how I “put my face on” every day. No matter what makeup you do or don’t wear, put on your best attitude and your day will just go better 😉
What a fun post! I just had to speak up for the Northern girls although I am in a dilemma-I live in Southern IL! I was raised on food and traditions you share here but technically, I am above the Mason-Dixon. We refer to ourselves as “Southern” Northerners, or “Northern” Southerners! I too, was raised to have that makeup on and hair fixed when I get up no matter what. It was my business to run the household and cook, and take care of the children when I was a stay home Mommy and of course, as a nurse, I wouldn’t think of going to work without makeup and hair fixed-those poor patients had been thru enough without looking at me not “ready for the day”!
Thanks so much . I have quit wearing any makeup including mascara . Never wore a lot , but to go without mascara is SO NOT good . Just a lot of health issues going on . Anyway, I actually wore my mascara ( same you use and it is the best ) this weekend , and my husband commented that I looked better . Soooo….this post is good timing for me . Especially going to try your eyebrow suggestion . Thanks for taking the time to share .
Thank you Dee!!
Thank you for reposting the makeup. I am looking forward to trying some of the products you listed. I really enjoy your food blogging, and have followed you for several years, maybe 5-6 years.
Thank you so much for all of your support Ameree!!!
Christy, thanks so much for sharing this! I think a lot of us (“Southern girls”) tend to be makeup junkies (pointing the proverbial finger at myself as I type, haha). You always look so polished and professional in your photos – it’s nice to see the products which help you achieve that look. Not to add to your work load, but in addition to sharing your skin care routine, could you let us know which hair care products work well for you? I have a feeling there are others who are dealing with the dreaded high-humidity hair days as well and would like to share in what keeps your hair so shiny and pretty. Thank you! And thanks as always for your positive attitude and the wonderful recipes. 🙂
Thank you so much Glenda!! I will see about putting together a post on the hair products 🙂
Just watched “What’s in my bag” youtube! Don’t want to meet you in a dark alley – you carry all kinds of flashlights and knives!!! ; )
🙂 I sure do!!!
Thank you for sharing your makeup bag! Your makeup and skin always looks perfect!
Thank you so much Joanne!!!
I can’t see the brand of the brow fix you use – please tell me what it is. I also use a lot of L’Oreal products and Wet and Wild – especially the nail polish. Will have to find your make up you tube. thanks
It’s Milani, I just buy it at CVS but I think Walmart has it as well. It comes in Light or Medium. I use the light kit. Here is an amazon like so you can see it better: http://amzn.to/2sPHT6c