Crunchy and bursting with flavors, these low-carb, gluten-free, and parmesan-crusted baked zucchini fries are there to satisfy your crunchy cravings.
I’m currently working on getting back on the low-carb bandwagon because it is always so good to me when I do! I will freely admit to getting derailed during the holidays though. Not because of temptation, but mostly because of travel and being so busy. Fortunately, my husband is very enthusiastic about low-carb eating so that is a great help.
Dishes like this also help when the salty, crunchy cravings hit. These low carb zucchini fries are one of my current favorites. I have been making them several times a week and we just love the crunchiness and burst of flavor from them! They have the taste of a fried treat (think ) but are far less work and mess, so that is yet another point in their favor.
- Parmesan cheese
- Zucchini (I usually use one zucchini for each of us)
How To Make Baked Zucchini Fries
Set up a breading station by mixing your parmesan cheese with your salt and pepper until good and mixed.
Cut your zucchini into half, then each half into fourths to make wedges. I also cut the ends off but that’s up to you.
If you like (totally optional), you can take a paper towel and wrap it around each one and give a little squeeze to make them a little tackier so the breading sticks better. Sometimes I do this, sometimes I don’t, they all turn out great regardless. Some people try to make this into a high maintenance recipe, but it really isn’t.
Using a knife, spread each cut side of the zucchini sticks with mayo.
You’ll be amazed at how easy it goes on and sticks.
Then, press each cut side into your parmesan mixture.
Place the zucchini sticks on a
Bake at 450 for about thirty minutes, or until your are brown and crispy on top. The first time you do this, check on them around the 20-minute mark just to make sure they aren’t overcooking in your oven.
Serve immediately either on their own or with your favorite dipping sauce!
You can store leftover zucchini fries in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. I recommend reheating them quickly in the oven or air fryer so they become once more.
- When it comes to these baked parmesan zucchini fries, I know a lot of folks will be tempted to buy the grated parmesan cheese. But I have made them with both and the powdered parmesan is really and truly the way to go. It creates a wonderful coating that sticks really well, whereas the shredded parmesan tends to melt and slide off the zucchini.
- As for which mayonnaise to use in this recipe, I am pretty sure 75% of my readership is going to slowly die inside because I didn’t use Duke’s. I usually try to get that just because y’all like it so much but grabbed this Great Value substitute on the go. So it doesn’t matter which mayonnaise you use, these zucchini fries are going to taste delicious!
- Please salt and pepper to your taste. I enjoy my very peppery with a good zing of salt. You know your taste buds best so use your own personal judgment when it comes to adding salt and black pepper.
- Serve your oven baked zucchini fries with your favorite dipping sauce, whether that’s ranch dressing, garlic aioli, or marinara sauce.
- For extra seasoning, add a teaspoon of Italian seasoning, , or to the parmesan mixture.
You may also like these other zucchini dishes:
Click here for more low-carb recipes too.
- 2-3 medium-sized zucchinis
- 1 cup powdered parmesan cheese the kind near the spaghetti fixins
- 1/2 teaspoon salt*
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pepper*
- In a small bowl, stir together the parmesan, salt, and pepper. Set aside.1 cup powdered parmesan cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt*, 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pepper*
- Cut each zucchini in half across the diameter and then cut each half into four logs or sticks.2-3 medium-sized zucchinis
- Optional: Use a paper towel to gently squeeze each wedge before moving on to the breading.
- Using a knife, spread a thin layer of mayo on each cut side of the zucchini sticks and then dip the cut sides into the parmesan mixture. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake at 450 for 20-30 minutes until brown and crispy on top.mayonnaise
- Serve warm and enjoy!